C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 crossfire coil wiring question

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 1982 crossfire coil wiring question

Does anyone have a clear photo that shows the wiring at the coil on their mostly stock 82? My car has been sputtering randomly, flooding out, hold the pedal to the floor and crank, then it slowly misfires and smokes itself back to life until it picks a time to die again. Pump and regulator are fairly new btw. Today it left me on the side of the road. I got under the hood when I realized it was flooded and looked at the wiring at the coil. Bubba has been here mind you. One of the wires on the coil (the front one in relation to the car) was spliced to a brown wire that heads towards the front of the car. I followed it to the drivers fender and it kept going forward headed towards the alternator where it disappears into wire tape. It has a filter capacitor or resister type thing in it, not your standard HEI filter either as thats on the other wiring at the distributor. This wire came off when I wiggled on the roadside. Ever since I removed this wire, the car runs like a scalded dog.It must have been making intermittent contact. Tach works fine and no check engine lights. Car idles great and pulls better than ever. all with this wire unhooked. I will post a pic tonight, but what could this wire do running to the front of the car? Bubba hood tach?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

not sure if it is the same but this link has an 81 wiring diagram

http://forums.corvettefever.com/70/9...e-on-with-key/
Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

I followed this brown wire. It was going from the tach connection on the coil to the back of the alternator...this doesn't seem right. It was tied to a relay on the passengers firewall also.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:20 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

wish I could help you out on that but we are away until Sunday can take a pic when I get back if nobody else gets to it before I do....Tom
Old 05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I am almost certain the tach lead off the coil doesn't need to be hooked to the voltage straight from the alternator. Judging from bubbaz affection for temporary clamp splices (I found one wire spliced 4 times under some tape)....
Old 05-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Figured it out. I believe what I had was the remaining wires to an old alarm. There was a bosch relay, an aftermarket style plug with a bunch of wires that were tied to all sorts of things including the distributor wires. I tracked down and removed every bit of it, then took where bubba tied the wires together, and soldered/heat shrinked them. All good now on a nice long test drive. I also removed the defunct hood light and its associated wiring along with some of the chopped up harness going to the cruise control module. Wire loomed what was left under the hood to finish it up.

Here is what hit the floor when I was all done:

Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Arkyvette,
AWESOME PHOTO!!!!

I know that look very well when I get into a car that some jerk-wad tried to do some form of repair or aftermarket improvement. I have ripped out so many aftermarket worthless upgrades that were installed so poorly...it would make your head spin.

DUB
Old 05-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

I dont know what took me so long to rip this stuff out. I guess I figured if the old crossfire is firing, dont do anything to upset it. The nasty stereo wiring is my next rat nest to tackle. I already removed bubbas twisted taped wires from behind the head unit and put those right, I know there are more in the battery compartment that need my attention. I guess in the end, it might not be the owners fault. With all the stereo and alarm shops that sprang up in the early 90's, I saw some really bad work come out of a supposed shop. Could be the work of one of those places.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 PM
wrenchdog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i dont know how to do this

i think ive uploaded the pics
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the photos. They match what I made mine look like today.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 crossfire coil wiring question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1982 crossfire coil wiring question