C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 transmission cooling lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1982 transmission cooling lines

Does it matter how the cooling lines going from the transmission to the radiator attach at the radiator? There is a top connection and a bottom connection on the radiator for the cooling lines.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikergems
Does it matter how the cooling lines going from the transmission to the radiator attach at the radiator? There is a top connection and a bottom connection on the radiator for the cooling lines.
The lines are bent in a way that the cooler hoses can only go on one way. The line that bends upwards goes to the top line...obviously.

DUB
Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikergems
When the car is running, tranny fluid is under pressure so if they are not properly connected, the pressure will spew fluid out. Once the level of fluid is too low, continued use of the tranny will burn it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:39 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
When the car is running, tranny fluid is under pressure so if they are not properly connected, the pressure will spew fluid out. Once the level of fluid is too low, continued use of the tranny will burn it.
What?? If both lines are connected to the radiator, where will the fluid (oil) spew out?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I understand having connections tight and they should not leak. I took off the connectors on the radiator which the transmission cooling lines attach to. I did not mark the lines to which transmission cooling line goes to the lower connection and which one goes to the upper connection on the radiator. The lines have a rubber jumper hose from the cooling lines coming from the transmission going to the radiator. After all that being said, does it matter which line goes to the upper connection and which one goes to the lower connection on the radiator?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:51 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

the upper radiator fitting gets the 90 degree cooling nipple pointing down, the lower fitting gets the straight one.....
misunderstood your question....... one of the transmission cooling lines from the transmission should have a 90 bent into it that goes to the upper fitting,

the lower fitting on the transmission is the outlet to the radiator (hot fluid) to the radiator cooler, it should connect to the bottom fitting on the radiator.

Last edited by speedreed8; 05-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I guess my response in post #2 needed to be "spelled out" better.

DUB
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks all. That's why I love this forum.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 transmission cooling lines

Quick Reply: 1982 transmission cooling lines