C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick walkaround of my 81 at an idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick walkaround of my 81 at an idle

Old 05-05-2014, 01:00 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks nice! Straight thru mufflers?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Headers, 2.5 stainless to a X-pipe equalizer, to duals out the rear with small mufflers tucked up under the rear quarter panels...

PO paid $4300 for that system... Very well done... Which is why, when everyone tells me to put side pipes on her ... I just can't... I like the sound/power, and price of this exhaust... Especially since it wasn't my coin that paid for it !
Old 05-05-2014, 01:08 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FireballXL5
Headers, 2.5 stainless to a X-pipe equalizer, to duals out the rear with small mufflers tucked up under the rear quarter panels...

PO paid $4300 for that system... Very well done... Which is why, when everyone tells me to put side pipes on her ... I just can't... I like the sound/power, and price of this exhaust... Especially since it wasn't my coin that paid for it !
Ouch! That's some serious change for an exhaust but you'll never have to buy another!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

PO bought the car... Motor /trans was tired... Brought it to the shop, and dropped a new 383 stroker , with all the bells and whistles and add ons, rebuilt th350... Then this exhaust... Then the foose rims/ tires... Then a few misc shop charges for fixing headlights etc... Showed me over $13k in receipts when I bought it...

He was not his own mechanic, and had to PAY a shop for any 'little' work... It was too much for him... He only drove it 254 miles in two years... Well, he bought a 2012 vette , and wanted to put a blower on it ... So, with this one just sitting... Sold it to me , for the price of a blower upgrade on his new one... $8,000!

Would've been the greatest deal out there, til the trans went out on me at 2400 miles... Looking into it , the trans shop who 'rebuilt' it, did a very poor quality job... But, it was out of the 12 month warranty for the shop, so I did it locally instead... After seeing it needed a total rebuild , decided to add a 700r4 instead...

I've been slowly fixing all the 'Little' issues... Which are mostly no brainers... Like ; connect the power wire to the cd changer to get it to work, find the tach plug extend it 6" and reconnect to distributor, reconnect the wire to the fuel gauge sending unit, push in the vacuum plunger under the dash to get the headlights to drop/function properly , add a antennae to get the radio to become clear, adjust the spinner on the brake shoes to get the e-brake to function... Etc... It's ALL been so trivial and relatively easy to fix, I find it funny. Found the remaining parts of a carpet install in the T-Top bags, he redid the seats... This car is just an overall gem!

After coming here, I've started looking into the trouble areas as far as rust and deterioration... And I'm proud to say in finding less than I expected after all the horror stories I've read!
Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see a video link.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Took a while for it to load... First few times I tried to hit it, it kicked me out of the page and I had to log back in... Was worried it wasn't going to work... But then a few chimed in that it was working... Sooo... I dunno...
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Took a while for it to load... First few times I tried to hit it, it kicked me out of the page and I had to log back in... Was worried it wasn't going to work... But then a few chimed in that it was working... Sooo... I dunno...
Tried logging off/on. Two different browsers - nada.

Oh well, I'll keep trying. I want to see/hear this.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Sent ya a pm with a link

The wiring was BUBBA 'd a little bit by the shop that put in the engine... Lots of wires were simply cut... All smog stuff removed, all a/c removed, cruise removed, misc others... It functions, and functions well... Who knows if I'll ever put a/c and cruise back in it... Maybe someday...
Attached Images  

Last edited by FireballXL5; 05-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:27 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

who the hell pays $4,300 for an exhaust ?

lets see some pictures of this exhaust. it better be made of gold
Old 05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy smokes $4300 for exhaust wow crazy high. If made from titanium and fully polished maybe. But why ? I build custom 3in X-pipe systems with a new custom tube cross member for the tranny everything installed for $1400.00 out the door.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:27 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

My bad, it was $4,190... Thought it was $4,290 last I checked... There's a little dyno tuning , and plugs with a few wire boots to clear the headers... Still... Outrageous price IMO.
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2014, 05:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Call the cops that's aggravated robbery.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:12 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Guess the PO had more dollars than sense... And proved that he wasn't his own mechanic... But it's all good... I got a sweet ride for the price... And even though I had to replace the 'rebuilt' th350 after 2500 miles, I'm still in love with this car and have NO regrets! So far, I'm into the car for a little over $13,500... Probably right around resale value if I had to guess... Seeing as how I've fixed soo many of it's 'issues' and made her daily driver safe now... Motor, trans, exhaust, rims, tires, interior, and overall condition... I'm happy. Planning on keepin her, and hope I'm not too far upside down on value vs $$ spent... Lovin it!!! Every time I turn the key makes me smile.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
bozzman3
Racer

Good god thats a expensive shop!I would love to see the exhaust system
Old 05-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

That is crazy if I could charge prices like that I would be rich lol. I dont no anyone in az that would pay that much for exhaust.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:52 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

It sits low enough, especially when I had the bad rear mono leaf that it has a bit of curb rash up front... Got it that way from the PO... Should be an easy fix once I find a reputable stainless steel welding shop... And the sections unbolt from the headers , and right in front of the X pipe.... But every joint of all those pieces is welded immaculately... I'll see if I can get a few pics sometime soon... I think they could have routed it just a little better ... But it clears everything, and doesn't cause too much heat in the cab or trans...

Get notified of new replies

To Quick walkaround of my 81 at an idle

Old 05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It sits low enough, especially when I had the bad rear mono leaf that it has a bit of curb rash up front... Got it that way from the PO... Should be an easy fix once I find a reputable stainless steel welding shop... And the sections unbolt from the headers , and right in front of the X pipe.... But every joint of all those pieces is welded immaculately... I'll see if I can get a few pics sometime soon... I think they could have routed it just a little better ... But it clears everything, and doesn't cause too much heat in the cab or trans...
Vid no worky. Try posting again please. We should just be able to click on it and watch. vid
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

http:// youtu.be /ejXLa0ZXC9w

There's the direct link posted solid , and the direct link with two spaces added... Copy/ paste and remove the spaces...
Old 05-06-2014, 01:54 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

At an idle, the sound is VERY burly... In gear it lopes even lower and shakes the car at stoplights! Lol. Down the road it mellows out to a comfortable cabin volume... And when you floor it the sound comes to life! Radio and conversations with ease while cruising. At some point I'll get some cabin vids and/or slow throttle shift points/speed, and a wide open throttle shift points/speed... ;-)

Quick Reply: Quick walkaround of my 81 at an idle