C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

play at tilt tele column.difficult repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default play at tilt tele column.difficult repair?

I suspect damage at coupling spheres of my 69 tilt tele steering column .i feel a kind of play and i cant find any other source other than that. Anybody has performed the replacement of the coupling spheres? How difficult to dismsntle the column? I downloaded jim shea papers and it seems quite a difficult job
Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 PM
buffaloc3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did it on my 76. Put a lot of time aside for it and a large area for all the parts.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by elle88
I suspect damage at coupling spheres of my 69 tilt tele steering column .i feel a kind of play and i cant find any other source other than that. Anybody has performed the replacement of the coupling spheres? How difficult to dismsntle the column? I downloaded jim shea papers and it seems quite a difficult job
It's usually not the spheres that wear out. It's usually the four bolts that hold the lower column to the tube. Or as what seems to be showing up more and more the tube itself as shown in the picture below.

The repair is not that hard, and Jim Shea has plenty of info on how to help you work through this, and there are plenty here that have rode this horse before.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 AM
elle88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It's usually not the spheres that wear out. It's usually the four bolts that hold the lower column to the tube. Or as what seems to be showing up more and more the tube itself as shown in the picture below.

The repair is not that hard, and Jim Shea has plenty of info on how to help you work through this, and there are plenty here that have rode this horse before.

uhmm...i suppose that i have to remove the whole steering column from the car .right? no way to fix the problem leaving the column installed and removing parts starting from the steering wheel side?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

the play in my 69 t/t turned out to be the upper bearing failure. PITA. also need tool for removal & install of upper lock ring. T
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by elle88
uhmm...i suppose that i have to remove the whole steering column from the car .right? no way to fix the problem leaving the column installed and removing parts starting from the steering wheel side?
Can all be done from the top. It will take some special tools the average guy would not have just laying in his box, through. Off the top of my head, a way to pull steering wheel when it has tele. Pull tilt pins from both sides. Lock plate spring compressor... Yada
Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by vbgod1
Can all be done from the top. It will take some special tools the average guy would not have just laying in his box, through. Off the top of my head, a way to pull steering wheel when it has tele. Pull tilt pins from both sides. Lock plate spring compressor... Yada
It's too easy to pull this column from the car.

You'll need this tool and you'll need to fabricate the locking stud as shown in the picture below.

Here is a help page from our web site on how to pull the column.

Get notified of new replies

To play at tilt tele column.difficult repair?

Quick Reply: play at tilt tele column.difficult repair?