C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Idle..1982 Corvette ..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Tom Walker
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle..1982 Corvette ..

I just Bought 1982 Cross fire Corvette, Engine Idle to High, How do I Lower Engine Idle , Thank You.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM
TravisF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on your new 82! Engine idle issues can be caused by a number of things.....from what I have experienced, and read in the forums, the main culprit is usually cracked or split vacuum lines. When I bought mine, a year ago, based on the advise of those on the forums here, I didn't replace just one or two vacuum lines, I bought a kit and replaced all of them. Also please read the sticky on the main page called "1982 MY(Model Year) problems & possible solutions". A wealth of information for troubleshooting there. Also, get yourself a copy of these two books, the 1982 Corvette Shop Manual and the 1982 AIM (Assembly Instructional Manual). You will need these if you want to make your troubleshooting easier.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM
billsfan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Walker
I just Bought 1982 Cross fire Corvette, Engine Idle to High, How do I Lower Engine Idle , Thank You.
Tom, most likely it's a vacuum leak, usually the gasket at the base of one of the throttle bodies. I like to check it with a length of 1/2" hose, like a stethoscope. If it is leaking, you will hear a noticeable whistle at the source of the leak. You can also spray starting fluid, the stethoscope is more accurate.

Get notified of new replies

To High Idle..1982 Corvette ..

Quick Reply: High Idle..1982 Corvette ..