C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 corvette single din modern stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:40 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Default 82 corvette single din modern stereo install

Cutting the original dash was very nerve racking but it went smooth! Measure 8 times and cut a little at a time. Then file fit.
wiring adapter from a mid 80s truck worked prefect but a few wires were different colors. Ign power and antenna. All the speaker colors were the same. The best part, no cutting on the original car harness!

I had to cut the two wire clip off the original stereo for the power antenna power and tape off the back light dimmer wire is not used on new stereos.

All tucked in except my FM antenna booster. That will just slip in behind the carpeted sides of the console. Perfect fit, I don't even need the little bezel that snaps in to cover the metal edge of the stereo frame but I did use it. Gave it a nice finished look!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

I purchased a used center stack just in case it wanted to return to stock. The modern blue tooth pandora DVD GPS ect... really makes for a nice convenient ride now! No more wires and plugs with tape deck adapters.

I rarely document my projects but this time I actually did....so I share
Old 04-24-2014, 10:01 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Good job I've thought about doing a pop-out like that but don't know that I'd like to cover my gauges. I guess if everything is working ok then you wouldn't have to keep an eye on the gauges...
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Good job I've thought about doing a pop-out like that but don't know that I'd like to cover my gauges. I guess if everything is working ok then you wouldn't have to keep an eye on the gauges...

Thanks
I usually leave it closed. It has a remote control or there are button on the face for basic functions. So it remains closed unless my daughter wants to watch a DVD.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:51 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

do you have the trim ring for the radio?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hugie82
Thanks
I usually leave it closed. It has a remote control or there are button on the face for basic functions. So it remains closed unless my daughter wants to watch a DVD.
Yeah I may have to reconsider it. My only issue is engine heat but I'm on my way of getting that under control. Otherwise engine oil pressure and amps are great...
Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by qwank
do you have the trim ring for the radio?
Yes, I snapped it on and it looks almost factory when it's all closed up. I just forgot to take a pic of the trim ring installed that day.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Yeah I may have to reconsider it. My only issue is engine heat but I'm on my way of getting that under control. Otherwise engine oil pressure and amps are great...
With it open, I have a good view of the Temp and Gas gauge but I'm an oil pressure hawk, so I keep it closed most of the time.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Does any body know how they down load the GPS into these stereos? I bought it at BestBuy and I thought it already had it installed but it says GPS ready....
I don't mind spending a few bucks for it but I wanted to know if I have to pull it back out or it's just a plug in thingy???
Old 04-25-2014, 09:02 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Does any body know how they down load the GPS into these stereos? I bought it at BestBuy and I thought it already had it installed but it says GPS ready....
I don't mind spending a few bucks for it but I wanted to know if I have to pull it back out or it's just a plug in thingy???
I'm sure they can load it from a cd or if it has a usb connection they can use a thumb drive.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 PM
onezulu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a similar unit made by Pioneer in my 82. The GPS is actually a bluetooth connection from the radio to my iPhone. The application I use is called "Motion X", and works great. You can find the app in the Apple store or in the store for Android applications.

Maybe your model works the same way?? Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great. I am to much of a chicken to cover up my gages.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:54 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

You can retract the display to see the gauges and still control the volume select the songs in sequence. I love mine!

Get notified of new replies

To 82 corvette single din modern stereo install

Quick Reply: 82 corvette single din modern stereo install