C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rochester carb/ 74 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
sheepdawggerry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rochester carb/ 74 Corvette

On this carb, which adjustment do I use to lower the fast idiol, so it's not running fast when I put it into forward or reverse, it's running to high.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If the choke and fast idle are set correctly, a slight stab of the gas pedal should bring the high idle down after the engine runs for a few seconds, definitely less than a minute. Is this not happening?

Scott
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Fast idle speed screw is on the passenger side of the carb, below the choke linkage. The screw head faces forward. Back the screw out to lower fast idle speed, if that's really the problem... (keep in mind that vacuum leaks, linkage damage, bent components, and misadjustments to the linkage can cause the actual fast idle problem, and that backing out the screw can simply be a cover for other issues that need to be repaired).
Old 04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Ryoga23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Fast idle speed screw is on the passenger side of the carb, below the choke linkage. The screw head faces forward. Back the screw out to lower fast idle speed, if that's really the problem... (keep in mind that vacuum leaks, linkage damage, bent components, and misadjustments to the linkage can cause the actual fast idle problem, and that backing out the screw can simply be a cover for other issues that need to be repaired).

What Lars said... Unless everything has recently be gone through with the carb and vac setup, given the age of the overall lacking of expertise of the Rochester's, I'd be very skeptical and look through everything closely.

I know that on one of my previous car's Quadrajet, I set the idle to what should have been right, a few runs later it was off again, set it again right, then rinse wash repeat several times until finally it clicked in that thick head of mine that it shouldn't be so variable and erratic. The carb ended up needling lots of love, in spite of having recently "rebuilt" it - in fact, I believe that was one I ended up sending to Lars in order to get right and restore my sanity. Lars is the man!

Last edited by Ryoga23; 04-24-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rochester carb/ 74 Corvette

Quick Reply: Rochester carb/ 74 Corvette