C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 dizzy recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 AM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 dizzy recommendations?

Hey all, OK. I can't identify the dizzy thats in this 81 vette. It's got wires coming off the top and side which I was told is for the computer, yet it also has a vac advance on it. I understand that vac advance distributors ca be hooked up to either a ported source or the manifold. This dizzy has a vac line going to the thermostat housing. What the hell am I missing? Why is this as confusing as it is? This is the only problem with buying someone else's project, trying to "decode" everything they were doing can be a headache at times! So I guess the question is this: What distributor are other 81 owners out there using? Are you happy with it?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

a "true" '81 dist. does NOT have a vacuum advance can on it, besides the spark plug wires there is a connector with 4 wires coming off the side.

I have seen some dist. (not '81's) that the vacuum advance line is routed through a thermal switch that is on the thermostat housing, basically, it won't let the dist. advance until the engine is warmed up.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jig A Low
a "true" '81 dist. does NOT have a vacuum advance can on it, besides the spark plug wires there is a connector with 4 wires coming off the side.

I have seen some dist. (not '81's) that the vacuum advance line is routed through a thermal switch that is on the thermostat housing, basically, it won't let the dist. advance until the engine is warmed up.
Yeah there is absolutely a vac advance here. I'm going to have to check the shop manual when I get home and see what the original part was. Any high performance elect. controlled cas out there that would play nice with the computer?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:22 AM
rlsterling3
Instructor

So I finally got the 1981 shop manual. Looking at the book it appears there are 2 distributors listed. One is an hei with a vac advance, the other is an est controlled by the ecm. So the hei looks like what I have now, so why is everyone saying that the 1981 only had the est model and no vac advance? I'm confused as hell now... Any clarification?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Does your shop manual include cars other than Corvette? Some of them do. Your 81 had HEI from the factory.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:47 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rlsterling3
so why is everyone saying that the 1981 only had the est model and no vac advance?
because it did. your shop manual isn't the correct one. it should look like this:

Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM
rlsterling3
Instructor

[hQUOTE=qwank;1586746697]because it did. your shop manual isn't the correct one. it should look like this:

[/QUOTE]

that's the exact shop manual that I had. In the section talking about distributors in ignition and talk about an HEI it has a vacuum advance as well as an HEI est which is all electronic controlso the 1981 hea hadd both these distributor?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

I'll double check when I get home, But I dont ever remember reading that.

can you post some pictures up of your engine compartment and distributor?

the lines going to the thermostat housing control the smog pump and charcoal canister i think, I cant remember off the top of my head

Last edited by qwank; 04-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:35 PM
rlsterling3
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwank
I'll double check when I get home, But I dont ever remember reading that.

can you post some pictures up of your engine compartment and distributor?

the lines going to the thermostat housing control the smog pump and charcoal canister i think, I cant remember off the top of my head
Here is a link to some pictures I posted a fe days ago. Let me know if the link doesn't work. I'm doing this on my cell phone
https://www.corvetteforum.com/c3-tech-performance/3454897-carb-and-dizzy.html
Old 04-25-2014, 01:44 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

looks like someone swapped out your electric distributor for a vacuum advance style
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Post #7 in your link answered your question. The distributor in your pic in that thread is not a correct 81 distributor.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 dizzy recommendations?

Quick Reply: 81 dizzy recommendations?