C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head light doors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Head light doors

Hi, new on here - bought a '78 last Sunday and have a few things to fix. I have 1 head light door that does not want to go up, but will stay up once it is pulled up. Closes as it should when lights are turn off. I have just got into it and not started checking hoses or anything else. Any quick check advise would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome!

Many times the seal (grommet) in the actuator goes bad, here how to troubleshoot and repair each part.
http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm
Old 04-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the vacuum relay for that side. If the relay is good, you will need to check the actuator.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the car running, and the headlights on, pull the vacuum hose off the actuator on the engine side - that is the 'up' side. If you can feel vacuum on that hose, then the seal on the actuator has gone bad, if there is no vacuum on the hose, the the relay, is bad, or the hose from the relay to the actuator is loose.

Most likely issue is, as previously mentioned, the seal has gone. You can buy a new seal kit cheap, and it's easy to replace (once the actuator is out of the car). The actuator can be a bit of an issue, the easiest way is to remove the front grill, and pull it out that way.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

How many vacuum pounds is normal?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLUDICE
How many vacuum pounds is normal?
Vacuum is measured in inches of Mercury (Hg). At idle, the engine should be producing around 15-20 inches HG. If the cam was replaced, then it's possible the engine is producing less vacuum.

The original post states that one headlight does come up, so I don't think inadequate vacuum is the issue.

If with the engine running, and the headlights on, you can feel vacuum on your finger, when it's pressed against the vacuum line going to the engine side of the actuator, then the problem is the actuator seal, and you need one of these - http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1983.html

Since the headlight comes down when you turn off the headlights, then the relay is propperly diverting vacuum to the down side of the actuator, source is getting to the relay.

I would estimate it's about a 95% chance that it's the actuator seal. Not going up, but going down propperly is a very clear indicator.

Last edited by Mashman; 04-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mashman
Vacuum is measured in inches of Mercury (Hg). At idle, the engine should be producing around 15-20 inches HG. If the cam was replaced, then it's possible the engine is producing less vacuum.

The original post states that one headlight does come up, so I don't think inadequate vacuum is the issue.

If with the engine running, and the headlights on, you can feel vacuum on your finger, when it's pressed against the vacuum line going to the engine side of the actuator, then the problem is the actuator seal, and you need one of these - http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1983.html

Since the headlight comes down when you turn off the headlights, then the relay is propperly diverting vacuum to the down side of the actuator, source is getting to the relay.

I would estimate it's about a 95% chance that it's the actuator seal. Not going up, but going down propperly is a very clear indicator.
Is there a chance it could be the diapham or anything else - before I order the seal kit? Thanks very helpful info here.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BLUDICE
Is there a chance it could be the diapham or anything else - before I order the seal kit? Thanks very helpful info here.
If the diaphram was leaking, then the headlight would not go down. The diaphram is in the middle of the actuator, and seals on the down side, the seals on the rod side seal for the up side.

If you want to make sure, then pull the actuator. My bet is that when it's out of the car, you will find that the atuator holds vacuum on the down side, but not on the up side.

You might be able to test this before removing it - i'm not sure. Disconnect the rod from the headlight door, and disconnect the vacuum hoses. Then while holding your finger over one of the vacuum ports, try moving the rod in and out.

My guess is that the rod will move fairly easily with your finger over the up side (bad seal), and not very easily when your finger is on the down side (good diaphram).
Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

You can do a quick check on the actuator rather easily. All this is with the engine off. To check the front seal, first raise the headlight manually. Then disconnect the vacuum hose from the rear, and plug the front vacuum port. Next release the pivot and slowly try to lower the headlight manually. If the front seal is good, it will prevent the headlight from closing. If it goes right down, the front seal is shot. If you have a vacuum gauge, you can hook it up to the front port, and observe the reading as you try to lower the headlight.

Get notified of new replies

To Head light doors

Quick Reply: Head light doors