C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stalling if Gas Tank Level Low

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:43 AM
JT1972CORVETTE
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stalling if Gas Tank Level Low

I'm having problems with my engine stalling on heavy acceleration and speeds over 40 mph when I have less that 10 gallons of gas in the tank.
If the gas tank is full the engine runs fine (except for a small hesitation at full throttle from a complete stop, no problem from rolling 30 mph acceleration )but if the tank has less that say around 10 gallons the engine starts to sputter and stalls if I go over 40 mph. I can limp along at 35 all day long. As soon as I fill the tank the problem immediately stops. I'm running a stock 350 (may have a what I was told was a LT1 cam)with a Rochester carb.My first thought would be the fuel pump but with a full tank its fine. Maybe collapsing fuel lines ? Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Sounds like a weak fuel pump ready to fail. Without the additional head pressure of a full fuel tank it doesn't want to pump enough to supply the engine.
I would also check float level in the carb if it were mine.
Also might want to check to see how much fuel pressure you have if your able.
Could be the tank sock too I guess. I've never had to deal with one so don't know much about it.

Last edited by REELAV8R; 04-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine Stalling if Gas Tank Level Low