C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 LT-1 Carburator ID

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:36 AM
JLMICCA
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 72 LT-1 Carburator ID

I was looking through some parts that came with my '72 LT-1 and came across a Holley Carb. The numbers on the air horn are as follows:
3999263-GA
LIST-6239-1
1B2 (I believe this may be 182) This carb appears more correct with bowl mounting flat head screws instead of the 6 point bowl mounting bolts.

The purchase order for my car was received 2/01/72. Could this be the original carb? The carb on the car now was a replacement purchased from Zip Corvette in 1996 labeled as a 72 Z28 man. trans replacement carb. Since this carb needs rebuilding, I was thinking of sending the more correct appearing carb, especially if it is dated correct for the car.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMICCA
I was looking through some parts that came with my '72 LT-1 and came across a Holley Carb. The numbers on the air horn are as follows:
3999263-GA
LIST-6239-1
1B2 (I believe this may be 182) This carb appears more correct with bowl mounting flat head screws instead of the 6 point bowl mounting bolts.

The purchase order for my car was received 2/01/72. Could this be the original carb? The carb on the car now was a replacement purchased from Zip Corvette in 1996 labeled as a 72 Z28 man. trans replacement carb. Since this carb needs rebuilding, I was thinking of sending the more correct appearing carb, especially if it is dated correct for the car.

Thanks!
Looking at the NCRS book for 70 to 72
Holley List 6239A or 6239-1A
"1B2"
first digit is year, 1971
second digit is month, 1 for Jan, .....8 for August, 0 for Oct, A for Nov and B for Dec.

I want to say it has to be within 6 months to be "date correct"?

And if it were me, I would get the date correct carb rebuilt. These Holley carbs from this period go from $500 to $1000 on ebay.

Hope this might help.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
JLMICCA
Racer

Thanks, sounds like the carb is indeed "date correct". That goes along with the survivor status the car was represented as having. The extra parts that go with the car are the original air cleaner lid (some mild flaws in chrome so I run a reproduction, original air filter, original oil filter, original water pump which needs rebuilding and original rims/trim rings with Firestone Wide Oval tires, (run with repros). I also have full documentation with POP and owner history.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Impressive!

Originally Posted by JLMICCA
Thanks, sounds like the carb is indeed "date correct". That goes along with the survivor status the car was represented as having. The extra parts that go with the car are the original air cleaner lid (some mild flaws in chrome so I run a reproduction, original air filter, original oil filter, original water pump which needs rebuilding and original rims/trim rings with Firestone Wide Oval tires, (run with repros). I also have full documentation with POP and owner history.
Impressive list!! Have fun
Old 04-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi JLM,
If you do indeed have the oil filter, air filter element and tires, this would be an AMAZING find!!!!, and people interested in originality will be VERY excited to see these items!!!
Store them carefully at this point!!!!! Really!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-22-2014, 11:08 PM
JLMICCA
Racer

Thanks Alen. I came across this car several years ago and just couldn't pass it up. I am storing the original items carefully, including keeping the tires from UV light. Lars should be receiving my original carb tomorrow so I hope to have is back fairly soon. I need to brush up on posting pics on this forum...when I have her up and running it would be great to share some pics.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 LT-1 Carburator ID

Quick Reply: 72 LT-1 Carburator ID