C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1980 Hood & Body Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by waljr
did you go with a truflex nose/tail or straight f/glass.
i'm trying to build my knowledge base up before I attack the seams on mine as well.

I lost a lot of interest when it got keyed

Dave prepped the hood with a DA, then cut the hole and fit the scoop. After that he used I think Evercoat brand Vette fender/ panel bond. We screwed it down in about 6 spots and let it sit a couple days

Then the screws came out and we started our glass work

Cheers DW
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

That is really nice work. Dave might get a future customer

I have to do my own fiber glass work from time to time and I hate it. How is your schedule next week?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
Checking rear Coy wheel clearance 18 x 9.5 x 5.5 BS on Sunday

Car has a new TRW composite spring on it and still contacts with a 1/4" spacer, clears 3/16 with 1/2 spacer, but wont go there.

I ordered a special 1/2 shorter 360 rate VBP spring this morning. So it should be about 3/4 narrower than what I have on the car now.

I plan on running billet 1/4 spacers with ET lugs to get more than enough thread engagement. With the 1/4 spacers I have 3/4 of studs left

My front are 17x 8 with 4.5 BS so plan to do the same with them

Glad I found the CF and read the wheel thread about 5 times

Thanks Dale

Dale, before you go installing spacers and getting shorter springs. You need to get some tires on those rims and put that car on the ground and let the IRS settle. Meaning role it forward and backwards about 10 feet. If I am not mistaken, the IRS will sag like that until it has the weight of the car compressing it. I think my rims did the same thing and I got 5.0 BS. I have the stock composite spring as well. My plans are to go with a shorter VBP spring to stiffen it up. I will respond to yer PV with measurements.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by gkull

I have to do my own fiber glass work from time to time and I hate it. How is your schedule next week?

Hi Gk

Yeah I hear yah >> when I was a little kid my dad owed a car lot and we went though the entire dune buggy Meyers Manx phase. We built them right there from start to finish. I was the little shrimp that drilled the holes in the dash and laid under there and did the wiring. I fit they didn't .....lol

Fiberglass from head to toe .... oh so fun

Dave use to own a body shop here in town but close it down. He can do good work .......... just limit the beers ...ha ha

He's a good guy really

Cheers D
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Dale, before you go installing spacers and getting shorter springs. You need to get some tires on those rims and put that car on the ground and let the IRS settle. Meaning role it forward and backwards about 10 feet. If I am not mistaken, the IRS will sag like that until it has the weight of the car compressing it. I think my rims did the same thing and I got 5.0 BS. I have the stock composite spring as well. My plans are to go with a shorter VBP spring to stiffen it up. I will respond to yer PV with measurements.

I hear yah Rob, but no worries I want that VBP spring rate anyway and Im sure I can sell mine since its almost new. I want to run 1/4" spacers to push them out just a tad also. Not only for spring clearance, but hopefully at 5.25" bs I will keep the tires from rubbing to much on the inner fender or frame under hard cornering. My current spring is a replacement TRW not the original and it may be a bit fatter on end than yours ? I know what you mean about tires on and settle it down as well.

The guys at VBP tell me the 8" bolts tuck the tires up to the fenders pretty nice so we will see. I may not need the 10" bolts and cut them etc.

Thank you for the measurements when you have time. I really like how your car sits and at least I can see how I come along with mine and how close

Thanks DW
Old 04-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Dale760
Racer

How is your schedule next week?
Im always here unless Im gone ..... lol

Are you thinking maybe coming over for visit. I may have to go to Sparks/ Reno this Friday but should be here Sat & Sun

Weeks days are tough right now I have my head down coming out with my new EFI tuner G

Call me at my shop Thursday to say 775-463-5394

DW
Old 04-23-2014, 11:18 PM
Dale760
Racer

Got some work done today
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Dale760
Racer

Two more

Cheers DW
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Before you paint think about this: Nevada state law requires a front license plate if your car is equipped with a plate holding position. That is why you see c-5, c-6's running around with no front plate.

You might consider a screen for air intake or modded to not include a L-Plate mounting.

I have not been ask where my front plate is for 15 years.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Dale760
Racer

Before you paint think about this: Nevada state law requires a front license plate if your car is equipped with a plate holding position. That is why you see c-5, c-6's running around with no front plate.

You might consider a screen for air intake or modded to not include a L-Plate mounting.

I have not been ask where my front plate is for 15 years.

Thanks for the tip G

On most of my cars I leave it off and put it under the passengers floor mat just in case.

I will take a look at the flat area today with Dave when he comes over, to see if we can open that up maybe if junk behind it does not show up without to much work

I will be here on Saturday, do you have plans ?

DW
Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
Thanks for the tip G

On most of my cars I leave it off and put it under the passengers floor mat just in case.

I will be here on Saturday, do you have plans ?

DW
My poor old vette gave up it's heater and AC long ago to save weight. So it is some what of a poor choice for bad weather driving. Also I just have my smaller spare motor in it. So it is not real impressive. High winding solid roller with AFR 210 heads. It is just 50 CI down and lacks the TQ. Kind of like riding a high rev 1000 cc rice bike and then jump on a 1320 cc. or an older rodded V-max that can light up the rear tire even in third gear with just a twist
Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Dale760
Racer

My poor old vette gave up it's heater and AC long ago to save weight. So it is some what of a poor choice for bad weather driving. Also I just have my smaller spare motor in it. So it is not real impressive. High winding solid roller with AFR 210 heads. It is just 50 CI down and lacks the TQ. Kind of like riding a high rev 1000 cc rice bike and then jump on a 1320 cc. or an older rodded V-max that can light up the rear tire even in third gear with just a twist

I know what you mean, and thats why we have to have two of them .... ha ha

One driver and one whip *** model $$$ ......... on the other hand been there done that so these days I just enjoy building stuff, turning junk into something nice.

As long is they run well, handle decent thats about all I care about now, but cant be totally gutless either. Yeah my I should put my Camaro motor in the Corvette .......... Nah

Nice talking to you yesterday

Dale
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Dale760
Racer

Default On the way to paint

Hi guys

Been a while but my old girl is finally on its way to Dave's home brewed paint room.

I hope to have paint on it in 1 to 2 weeks

Jams, custom hood with black on L88 scoop, and the car in med spiral grey metallic

That's painter Dave standing by the car

Cheers Dale
Attached Images      
Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Dale760
Racer

Default Finally about to have paint on my car

Dave has been working on my 80 on and off, and has all the lines cleaned up, seems gone and about to spray the car.

Just went for a visit an hour ago and took these photos. It may get winding today so might wait until morning to shoot the paint.

We will see, but its nice to finally get to this step guys

Cheers Dale
Attached Images     
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Where are the flares?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:29 PM
Dale760
Racer

At the factory .............lol

DW
Old 06-28-2014, 06:59 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I saw that you are using 1/2 inch spacers front and rear. I use 4 inch BS fronts and taller 255/50/17 rub lightly on the frame doing lock to lock. So I use 255/45/17 Kumhos from our local Tire Rack store.

I just got rid of the VB&P 420 and went with the custom 520. They require matching shocks to take the bouncy ride out.

Get notified of new replies

To My 1980 Hood & Body Work

Old 06-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Dale760
Racer

I saw that you are using 1/2 inch spacers front and rear. I use 4 inch BS fronts and taller 255/50/17 rub lightly on the frame doing lock to lock. So I use 255/45/17 Kumhos from our local Tire Rack store.

I just got rid of the VB&P 420 and went with the custom 520. They require matching shocks to take the bouncy ride out.

Hi gk

I had no choice on the 1/2" spacers since Coy had 4.5 bs in stock on the fronts. Not big deal really.

Luckily I am getting to know the manager pretty well at Discount tire in Sparks, and he was nice enough to let me return my Nitto 555s and order me a set of NT05s.

Going with 255/40/17 fronts & 285/35/18 rears

I plan to only autocross my 1980 and do a track day now and then with my 03 Z06.

Its going to be hot one out the today, and I know your out there right now. Working on my project bike today or it will never get done

Talk soon

DW
Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Driver instructing on a high speed track is............. good when you students say that you really helped them. only few slides and one major off track black flag.

Met Keith who you must have sent out. I do not race my vette any more because I took out the fire system and accusump. I would also have to mount my slicks. So I just drove the old vette to the track.

I would have to update my cage with an X bar door bars.... I'm just going to do open wheel racing or some 125cc shifter Kart stuff
Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Dale760
Racer

Driver instructing on a high speed track is............. good when you students say that you really helped them. only few slides and one major off track black flag.

Met Keith who you must have sent out. I do not race my vette any more because I took out the fire system and accusump. I would also have to mount my slicks. So I just drove the old vette to the track.

I would have to update my cage with an X bar door bars.... I'm just going to do open wheel racing or some 125cc shifter Kart stuff

Hi gk

That was my buddy Kurt, he is an old hot rodder and loves cars and bikes both. He was over for a visit while I was working on my project bike, then headed to the track to watch and look at a few cars.The night before he was out at the drag strip doing the same thing. Hes a nut but a great guy .......... we call him special K .......ha ha

I said look for gk and say hi and he did , so that was cool he found you.

Went for a great ride today over 89 and up to alpine lake on our bikes. Beautiful up there this time of year

Cheers Dale

Quick Reply: My 1980 Hood & Body Work