C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley carb idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 PM
rep69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley carb idle problem

Today I took the car on its first long drive since the engine was overhauled. My 1969 427 390 hp has been running good since the overhaul. I have put around 100 miles on the engine. The problem i notice is that when I have the air conditioning on and stop at the stop light the engine will not idle and then it floods out and dies. I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine to get it to start. Maybe a simple adjustment of the floats? a/c compressor belt too tight? The holley 4150 double pumper was rebuilt last year and was operating good before the engine overhaul.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Automatic or manual transmission? What is the idle speed with A/C off and what is it with A/C on? Assuming the idle is correctly set, remove the front sight plug with the engine idling and observse the float level, it should be just even with the bottom of the hole. Adjust if necessary. Then do the same with the rear.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rep69
Today I took the car on its first long drive since the engine was overhauled. My 1969 427 390 hp has been running good since the overhaul. I have put around 100 miles on the engine. The problem i notice is that when I have the air conditioning on and stop at the stop light the engine will not idle and then it floods out and dies. I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank the engine to get it to start. Maybe a simple adjustment of the floats? a/c compressor belt too tight? The holley 4150 double pumper was rebuilt last year and was operating good before the engine overhaul.
I don't know if this app is supposed to have a idle solenoid due to the A/C (no time right now to look it up)... but if so, check to see that it's present & working when the A/C is on.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley carb idle problem

Quick Reply: Holley carb idle problem