C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crashed c3.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default crashed c3.

i recently got in a fender bender. i found a c3 of the same year with missing engine tranny some interior parts. Do any of you now if I'm able to just change bodies on the c3 without having to do any paperwork at the DMV?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:24 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know about the DMV situation but why don't you just replace the parts that are damaged?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on how honest you want to be. You can swap over vin tags etc. Not exactly legal, but don't know that is a Vin tag police?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

persuader i dont have money for a paint job. it does make sense tho.. the whole front clip including headlights got ruined

Last edited by Bigeddie; 04-20-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Old 04-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

the hood pulled of from where it bolts in body
Old 04-20-2014, 02:31 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigeddie
Do any of you now if I'm able to just change bodies on the c3 without having to do any paperwork at the DMV?
Sorry to hear about your accident.

As far swapping bodies, I would say that you could be asking for trouble, if your planning to use your old title, with the new body.

Removing the VIN plate from your old car, and moving it to your new body, is a big no-no. There are all kinds of legal ramifications, both State and Federal, for tampering with VIN plates. I'm not saying people don't do it, or haven't, but if your caught, there could be costly consequences.

If the other car is that nice, that you'd want to use the body and paint as is, you would be much better off swapping your engine and interior, into that car. Scrap your old car, and title the new one using it's legitimate VIN.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:41 PM
George Ries
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

As far swapping bodies, I would say that you could be asking for trouble, if your planning to use your old title, with the new body.

Removing the VIN plate from your old car, and moving it to your new body, is a big no-no. There are all kinds of legal ramifications, both State and Federal, for tampering with VIN plates. I'm not saying people don't do it, or haven't, but if your caught, there could be costly consequences.

If the other car is that nice, that you'd want to use the body and paint as is, you would be much better off swapping your engine and interior, into that car. Scrap your old car, and title the new one using it's legitimate VIN.
yep what he said
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Sorry about your car....I hope things work out!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:31 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

If the wrecked Vette was numbers matching, swapping the drive train to the other body and chassis would make it a NOM. Motivation to swap VIN tags though not legal.. The rivets used to fasten the VIN tag are special, not sure where you'd find replacements.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Not trying to do anything illegal here thanks for the input. If I end up switching engine and other stuff I'll have a lot of thing up for sale on the wrecked 79 c3

Get notified of new replies

To crashed c3.

Quick Reply: crashed c3.