C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 l82 de-smogged by bubba

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 AM
DBez93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 78 l82 de-smogged by bubba

I was told the vacuum advance is all jacked up by an old gear head that pointed out the advance was affecting my idle, that I wanted port vacuum but it was still running off manifold vacuum... Does anybody here know what to do or how to figure out what to do... I keep discovering more weird stuff with this car... Any recommendations on brands for the new distributor/coil?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by DBez93
I was told the vacuum advance is all jacked up by an old gear head that pointed out the advance was affecting my idle, that I wanted port vacuum but it was still running off manifold vacuum... Does anybody here know what to do or how to figure out what to do... I keep discovering more weird stuff with this car... Any recommendations on brands for the new distributor/coil?
Willcox (forum vendor) has an emission hose schematic that is color coded for an 78-82 L82. Print a copy that trace your hose connections..all! See where they are routed and set according to factory specifications than determine how its running and what to do next.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:13 AM
DBez93
Instructor

Haha thank you so much... It's weird buying someone else's incomplete project... But that's what you get w/ a 35 year old car
Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

contact Lars and get his papers for distributor set up. he suggests ( and most here agree ) manifold vacuum is what you want , if your purpose is to have a good running car.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

If manifold vacuum is affecting your idle, probably what you have is a vacuum can that requires too much vacuum to be fully retracted at idle.
You want manifold vacuum for best idle quality and off idle response.
You just need a can that is rated low enough to not oscillate in and out while at idle, that will make the idle unstable because it is advancing and retarding the timing when it oscillates.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Why are you changing the distributor and coil and what's this got to do with the car being de-smogged?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:06 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Willcox (forum vendor) has an emission hose schematic that is color coded for an 78-82 L82. Print a copy that trace your hose connections..all! See where they are routed and set according to factory specifications than determine how its running and what to do next.
From the 79 GM shop manual. A little clearer than others.
Correct for 78 and 79 L82, not for L48s.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 PM
DBez93
Instructor

The remaining hoses are in the right places, one of them was loose, I put it back on and it's not idling rough any more... I appreciate the help

Get notified of new replies

To 78 l82 de-smogged by bubba

Quick Reply: 78 l82 de-smogged by bubba