C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Left Kickpanel Vent Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Removing Left Kickpanel Vent Door

G'day All,
I have to remove the left side kick panel vent door, as it's not operating correctly. Are there any pit falls that I need to know or advice that you can give that will make the job easier?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If I recall correctly, there is just one screw holding the kick panel up under the dash... you have to squeeze up into the foot well to see it. And the kick panel is tucked under the door sill so the sill has to come off as well. Very easy to remove the kick panel if the screws holding the door sill are not rusted/frozen like mine were.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The only functions of the door are opening and closing. A bowden cable does that from the Vent **** on the console. You may not need to actually remove the door to get it opening and closing again. For factory air cars, there is no left side door.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If your door isn't sealing correctly when closed, you may want to replace the seal. The door consists of 2 oval shaped pieces of sheet metal riveted together with a piece of foam in between. Foam and rivet rebuilding kits are available, or you can purchase hardware store rivets and use 2mm black craft foam sheets. If you're not trying to maintain originality, you could use screws instead of rivets.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Pop-rivets make that job easy. Get craft foam at Michael's or HobbyLobby craft stores. (8"x10" sheets of black 2mm thick foam)

As mentioned, if the door is not functional, the Bowden cable could be rusted tight (inside the cable sheath), the mechanical actuator could be damaged (at the control head), or someone could have glued the door closed (???). Check condition of door and mechanism at the door first. THEN open up the console to check the rest of it.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 04-20-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

The vent door is held to the car by two pins that it rotates on. One pin is fixed and the other is spring loaded, so that the door can be removed. The lower pin can rust into it's pivoting hole and freeze the door up. Been there, done that! Lou.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:49 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
The vent door is held to the car by two pins that it rotates on. One pin is fixed and the other is spring loaded, so that the door can be removed. The lower pin can rust into it's pivoting hole and freeze the door up. Been there, done that! Lou.
Lou, thanks, thats the info I was after. I have the AIM, but there is virtually no useful info on how the vent door is fitted.

Thanks to everyone else for their advice as well.

My vent door must have been siezed up for a long time, as a previous owner(bubba) had stuffed a piece if rag in at the top of the vent/drain shaft to stop the air flow.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Left Kickpanel Vent Door

Quick Reply: Removing Left Kickpanel Vent Door