C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steeroids manual rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steeroids manual rack

Hi guys! Been a long time. I FINALLY a starting the frame-off on my 1980. 17 years in the making. Body is off and making plans now. The steering system is pretty well shot. I was going to go with the steeroids kit, but want as little clutter and potential for problems. I just saw Eckler's has a steeroids manual rack and pinion kit for the C3s. Anyone used one of these, and what would the level of difficulty be in installing one of these? This is not a high horsepower car (LG4 I bought years ago from a member on here from Oregon), and will be just used for going on drives and cruises now and then. I'm reliving the best years I've had with this car, which I have a HUGE history with (and which I won't bore you with). I've missed being on this forum and look forward to your advice and help as I go through this care bottom to top. Glad to finally get going on it!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

Hi guys. It looks like these kits are not popular amongst you all. I've looked into it some and I think that's the route I'm going to go. Feels so good working on this car again.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

my 6t8 has been converted to the Steeroids R&P, my 69 has the Borgeson steering conversion. the 9-car is my daily driver and the Borgeson setup is a great improvement, [less parts, less play, less leaks, etc.] others use it to autoX and on open tracks and say it's great. the R&P on the track is great, very reactive but doesn't give you a very good feel of the road. as for driving the R&P on the road it is very sensitive, tracks perfectly straight, but you must pay attention, it doesn't take much steering wheel input to be in the next lane at freeway speed. the R&P was an easier install. that was 3cents worth, T
Old 05-03-2014, 05:06 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i went w rack attack VBP (basically the same i think as the steeroids)...and not on the road for a while...so waiting to see...it was recommended by josh powers at custom image...he claims excellent results...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I did my own rack install a dozen years ago, same rack as the commercial kits, and it's been fine, street driven daily.....no racing, but it handles great with C4 rims/tires and some suspension work....

Far as I concerned, it's in the steering ratio 16-1 is just not quick enough for modern tires, those old bias ply crap they made 50 years ago have been slightly updated... and so to use that update you need 12-1 steering.....for starters.....

Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I have one with power steering. No issues and love it.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Did you guys lower the pump pressure when changing to R&P?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
Did you guys lower the pump pressure when changing to R&P?
some guys lower the pressure, I didn't have to, the pump blew up, I guess it didn't like sustained engine speed over 7000. put in a racing pump. T
Old 05-03-2014, 09:17 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. My car has basically no salvageable power steering parts, from the pump all the way to the tie rods, so I thought I'd simplify the system with a manual Steeroids R&P system. Not a ton cheaper than the power system, but if I added in all the parts I'd need to have it functional, the price gets pretty high. Plus, I want a good, reliable car without all those darned leaks.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by lg4vette
Thanks for the replies. My car has basically no salvageable power steering parts, from the pump all the way to the tie rods, so I thought I'd simplify the system with a manual Steeroids R&P system. Not a ton cheaper than the power system, but if I added in all the parts I'd need to have it functional, the price gets pretty high. Plus, I want a good, reliable car without all those darned leaks.
As far as I know the Power and the non Power Racks are the same thing. Hook up the PS lines and You have power. Don't hook them up and well You don't. This of coarse means that if You don't like your non power set up it is very easy to add PS later on.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a manual Steeriods on my '70 BB car and I love it. Yes it's a little more work in parking lots at low speed but otherwise it's tight and very responsive.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Another source for a manual R&P for C3's is Flaming River. You may want to explore this option also.

https://www.flamingriver.com/index.p.../s0001/FR312KT
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

Default Thanks all

As always, thank you all again for the help and your insights.

Get notified of new replies

To Steeroids manual rack

Quick Reply: Steeroids manual rack