C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help with cabin heat dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help with cabin heat dilemma

getting hot air from center console side panel vent area only. and only
when car is in motion. question: is this air from inside heater box or could it be leaking through firewall perhaps because transmission collar is missing?
Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesummer79
when car is in motion. question: is this air from inside heater box or could it be leaking through firewall perhaps because transmission collar is missing?
There is a vacuum operated hot water shut off valve in the heater core hose. Check to make sure it's working. The vacuum switch for it is located inside on the heater box behind the glove box on my 80', not sure about yours. The switch is adjustable and should close the hot water valve when the console control is slid over to "cold". I placed manual brass ball valves on both of my heater hoses and that stopped a lot of heat from entering the cabin. My engine doesn't produce very much vacuum and I don't think the valve was working properly because of it.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

Thanks Mike! I already installed gate valves on both heater hoses. sealed and insulated
heater plenum, installed heat shield and turned off the blower{temporarily} motor trying to stop the hot air and fumes.

Last edited by corvettesummer79; 04-20-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Thanks Mike! I already installed gate valves on both heater hoses. sealed and insulated
heater plenum, installed heat shield and turned off the blower{temporarily} motor trying to stop the hot air and fumes.
It sounds like you have an air leak from the engine compartment into the cabin. Either that or the seal near the windshield that the hood closes on is missing/leaking.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

I know its not the hood seal, going to try getting my son to stuff the gap between the
transmission and the firewall it has to be coming in there unless the factory left it open somewhere
Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 AM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

thank you REELAV8er
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If the seal (#4) is bad you can get a lot of heat through the shifter.

This collar might help too if yours is missing.
http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductD...L2-SR&CTitle=&
Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I know its not the hood seal, going to try getting my son to stuff the gap between the
transmission and the firewall it has to be coming in there unless the factory left it open somewhere
You can also try this; at night put a bright light under the hood and close it, then get into the car close the door and see where the light comes through, those are your leaks.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

I've tried the light trick and didn't see any light at all. I cant feel anything coming from the shifter. I can feel it coming in in front of the lower center console side panel defrost vents. Really appreciate you even answering.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

is the tunnel collar a bitch to get in?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

What is a center console side panel vent area? It seems to me those are two different things...center console side panels and center console vents? Vents are above...center console side panels have no vents?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

is the tunnel collar a bitch to get in?
The collar is a breeze with an M38 but the heat protection is minimal compared to a full tunnel insulation package that will optimize heat transfer. Its the bitch since tranny will have to be lowered (not dropped) but shift linkage dis-assembled. Of course, you could cut a slit and than use duct tape to connect once installed.

Also as a suggestion, we have many threads in the archives where this has been discussed. Suggest spending some time to reseearch and study those and what others have done to combat cabin heat...lots of good stuff

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 04-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

I was talking about the vents in front of the side panels towards the front of the car
sorry
Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

Ive researched it quite a bit actually but thank you for your input
you guys know your stuff
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You seem to be able to feel air being blown. The blower motor runs all the time, I would disconnect the blower ground wire, just to make sure the air you feel isn't being blown out of the heater core (even with cutoff valves, that air will get warm).
Old 04-22-2014, 11:10 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

The collar is easy to fit, if you want to test before you buy, stuff some fibreglass insulation around the gap and then drive around for while. I found the collar made a significant difference to the heat coming into my car. I have now fully lined the transmission tunnel with a thin self adhesive lining that has a thermal layer topped with an aluminium one, this works very well. Only practical if you are dropping the trans though because you need to clean the tunnel well to get the adhesive to stick.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
You seem to be able to feel air being blown. The blower motor runs all the time, I would disconnect the blower ground wire, just to make sure the air you feel isn't being blown out of the heater core (even with cutoff valves, that air will get warm).
well worth a try and it costs you nothing.

Get notified of new replies

To please help with cabin heat dilemma

Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Default my 1978 leaking

Originally Posted by MIKE80
There is a vacuum operated hot water shut off valve in the heater core hose. Check to make sure it's working. The vacuum switch for it is located inside on the heater box behind the glove box on my 80', not sure about yours. The switch is adjustable and should close the hot water valve when the console control is slid over to "cold". I placed manual brass ball valves on both of my heater hoses and that stopped a lot of heat from entering the cabin. My engine doesn't produce very much vacuum and I don't think the valve was working properly because of it.
i also was having heat inside cabin in summer, now leaking on passenger side floor. would like to shut off the fluid from even coming inside cabin if possible. any help would be appreciated. can text me or call at 412-780-5998
Old 04-25-2014, 09:14 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

On my 1977 model the fresh air inlet for cabin air is on the passenger side of the channel where the windshield wiper assembly is located... The mode/blend selector door seals where bad from age... And was allowing engine heated air to enter the cabin. You might test this yourself with a towel stuffed into the open fresh air intake duct... It could be a possible source of some of your heat concern.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:14 PM
corvettesummer79
Instructor

The blower motor already has been disconnected and its not coming in from the heater box or vents but I can feel a draft of hot air from the center console drivers side way up underneath the dash. There must be a gap somewhere or its just radiating through.
Thanks

Quick Reply: please help with cabin heat dilemma