C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel tank out

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Default fuel tank out

Got my fuel tank out on my 75 coupe today. I had a nice shower of mouse poop and acorns when it dropped too. Anyways it looks to be in very good shape. The bladder looks pretty clean inside and there is only a small amount of sediment on the bottom that I will be able to clean up once I get the last of the gas out. I pulled on the bladder a little and it came away from the inside wall of the tank. It is not collapsing but it can be pulled away. Was the bladder glued to the inside of the tank or just held in by the weight of the fuel pressing it outward? I hope I can leave it in but if I have to remove it can I use one of the cork gaskets in place of the rubber around the tank cover? I know some people have said to cut the rubber and use it like a gasket but will the cork replace it if necessary?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Regarding the bladder, it is there as a safety device, mandated by the Feds, to prevent fuel spillage and resulting possible fire in the event the tank itself is ruptured in an accident. It shouldn't be glued to the tank. I personally wouldn't remove it.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

That bladder is nearly 40 years old. I agree its in there for a reason.
IMO you should purchase a reproducion new gas tank. Thats what I did. It is fuel after all.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 AM
teamo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

I can replace the tank but will I be able to get the bladder out and reinstalled into the new repro tank without destroying it? I do want to keep the bladder. Does anyone make a reproduction bladder? I haven't been able to find one doing a search.
Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by teamo
I can replace the tank but will I be able to get the bladder out and reinstalled into the new repro tank without destroying it? I do want to keep the bladder. Does anyone make a reproduction bladder? I haven't been able to find one doing a search.
Thanks
Sorry I should have been more specicfic-the new repro tanks dont use a bladder so no worries.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Just keep what you have. Clean the outside and paint/coat it with a good epoxy paint. That will seal it and prevent pin-hole rust spots. That bladder has prevented any rust on the inside of that tank for 40 years. Why not let it continue to do its job?

Get notified of new replies

To fuel tank out

Quick Reply: fuel tank out