C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 wiring ?

OK, so I've been trying to undo the work bubba has done to this car. I installed a new starter harness and realized the small bolt on the solenoid is stripped. Once I get the harness installed and a battery in place, should the car fire up? The motor was replaced with a L48 and the ECM has been disconnected. Is there anything else that needs to be done? Well besides getting new tops, fixing the windows, installing the drive shaft and shift cable and a bunch of other things....
Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Hard to say since you mention nothing about what has or has not been done to the ignition circuit.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:05 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Hopefully, nothing has been done to the ignition circuit but honestly, I don't know.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

1.) GOOD fresh fuel.
2.) If the engine has NOT been cranked for a long time. And I mean at least 6 months...and at that I really do not like it that long. I like engine being cranked about every 2 weeks to keep them oiled well and the internal parts do not run dry due to oil sheeting off of them. If it has been sitting that long...I would prime the ginseng first if it were in my shop.
3.) Coolant.

It all depends on how long you plan on running it.

DUB
Old 04-19-2014, 08:19 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Dub,

I plan on doing that also. Motor has not been run in years as far as I know. It has a new timing chain, cam, intake and heads and hasn't been run since install. At least, that's what bubba told me.
Another ?,, on the starter harness I installed, it has 2 red wires, one black wire, one purple wire and two blue wires that go in to a plug. What are the blue wires for? I've read everything from electric fan to AC fan motor. I plan on removing the ECM and harness in the near future that was left in the car. How hard of a job is that? I'm guessing 3 banana.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by nspctr01
Dub,

I plan on doing that also. Motor has not been run in years as far as I know. It has a new timing chain, cam, intake and heads and hasn't been run since install. At least, that's what bubba told me.
Another ?,, on the starter harness I installed, it has 2 red wires, one black wire, one purple wire and two blue wires that go in to a plug. What are the blue wires for? I've read everything from electric fan to AC fan motor. I plan on removing the ECM and harness in the near future that was left in the car. How hard of a job is that? I'm guessing 3 banana.
For what it is worth...and this might start a series of comments...but if this engine has a new cam and has NOT been cranked...I would highly suggest that you obtain "break-in oil" and use it so you can CORRECTLY break in the cam...especially if it is a flat tappet cam/lifters.

Removing the ECM is a bit of fun because you are basically upside down getting to everything. I would remove the rear storage frame entirely if you do so...butt hat is just me...battery also..obviously.

If you have a 1981 factory shop manual...the wiring is clearly laid out in the book. Do you have one yet?...because as it has been written in some of your past posts...it is in your best interests to have one.
The blue wires are for other parts...and I do not have my manual with me at home....and usually there is a sensor in the cylinder head by the wiring so it will control the auxiliary electric fan...and may go the the blower motor...but without my book I honestly can not remember for a fact.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 81 wiring ?

Quick Reply: 81 wiring ?