C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Crank Removal...no "C" clip?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM
afnoce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Crank Removal...no "C" clip?!

I'm trying to remove the window crank from my left door panel and know that that there's a "C" clip that I need to first remove in order to pull off the crank.

I purchased a window crank removal tool...the kind that you push between the door panel and crank to pop out the clip. I've tried poping out the clip with the tool parallel to the handle and on the opposite side...nada.

Next I tried a hooked tool from Harbor Freight (looks like a dental tool)...and still...I can't seem to find anything to latch onto.

Lastly, I tried the "rag method" by running a thin rag between the crank and panel from left to right and all around...and still nothing.

I'm wondering if there's even a "C" clip holding the handle on to the crank...perhaps it's been Bubba'd and been JB Welded on (good grief)!

I'm completely stumped and not sure what else to try at this point short of prying the crank off (which I'd prefer not to do as it could damage the door panel or the actual mechanism).

Has anyone else run into this situation before...would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by afnoce
I'm trying to remove the window crank from my left door panel and know that that there's a "C" clip that I need to first remove in order to pull off the crank.

I purchased a window crank removal tool...the kind that you push between the door panel and crank to pop out the clip. I've tried poping out the clip with the tool parallel to the handle and on the opposite side...nada.

Next I tried a hooked tool from Harbor Freight (looks like a dental tool)...and still...I can't seem to find anything to latch onto.

Lastly, I tried the "rag method" by running a thin rag between the crank and panel from left to right and all around...and still nothing.

I'm wondering if there's even a "C" clip holding the handle on to the crank...perhaps it's been Bubba'd and been JB Welded on (good grief)!

I'm completely stumped and not sure what else to try at this point short of prying the crank off (which I'd prefer not to do as it could damage the door panel or the actual mechanism).

Has anyone else run into this situation before...would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I believe that clip has the shape of the greek symbol for Omega not a "C". They can be a bitch, you gotta locate the foot of the clip and push in!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes very hard to get off.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I've seen more than a few put on the "wrong" way around (opening of the clip at the little channel in the crank.
Should still have caught on your cloth though.

Without the clip there's nothing that should hold it on other than being "stuck"
M
Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Window crank

Originally Posted by afnoce

widowmaker is right. The clip is in the shape of an omega, something like a "c" with ears on each end. If the crank wobbles on the shaft it is not "glued on". Try pushing the panel around it in as far as possible and looking for the clip. Sometimes one can hook the clip in the center and pull it out. Other times one has to hook an end and pull it out or push on an end to push it out. It can be done.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM
afnoce
Advanced

Since the spacer between the panel and the window crank is missing, I managed to squeeze in a dental mirror to have a better look. Unfortunately, my suspicions were confirmed...there's no clip holding the crank handle onto the shaft...it has been glued on. You can actually see some residue of the glue spilling out from the slits on the crank here the clip goes...just great...thanks, Bubba.

Has anyone run into this situation before? Guess that I'll have to look for some kind of solvent to try to help break the bond of the glue on the shaft.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM
Panhead59
Racer

Hard to imagine any type of glue would hold that handle on. With all the turning and cranking and maneuvering that you have done, surely the "glue" would've let loose by now. Possible I guess, but highly unlikely. Are you absolutely positive there is no clip? They can be very difficult to get off sometimes. Much patience needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Crank Removal...no "C" clip?!

Quick Reply: Window Crank Removal...no "C" clip?!