C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q jet help

Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Default Q jet help

HI ALL
I'm not a carb wiz but I rebuilt my carb and it runs great except on a cold start I set the choke and it fires up fine, runs on fast idle for several seconds and then dies. I re start and then it runs great. What adjustments do I need? Keep in mind I am not sure which adj. screws do what.
Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM
ENFORCER1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaron
HI ALL
I'm not a carb wiz but I rebuilt my carb and it runs great except on a cold start I set the choke and it fires up fine, runs on fast idle for several seconds and then dies. I re start and then it runs great. What adjustments do I need? Keep in mind I am not sure which adj. screws do what.
Thanks
Best thing that I have done is to buy "How to rebuild and modify Quadrajet carburetors" by Cliff Ruggles. This is an excellent book and will help the average guy out and give you the confidence to dive into that carb. The author also has a website and sells about anything you might need for your carb.

I would check all the vacuum lines and make sure you have no issues there. Check your choke pulloffs and vacuum advance can/hoses as well.

Good luck.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:26 AM
John Holmes
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely your choke pull off is adjusted too rich. Follow the adjustment procedure outlined in Lars' Qjet tuning paper and you will be fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 AM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Where can i find lars qjet tunning paper?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

you have to email him V8FastCars@msn.com
1. What rpm did you set the fast idle for?
2. What kind of choke is on your car, electric, divorced, etc. ?
3. Did you adjust the choke?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you tripping the fast idle after a few minutes? If not, like others say, your choke appears to be incorrectly set/inop.

When I pull my air cleaner and watch that big 'flap' on top of the carb when car is first started with choke, I can see it start almost closed but for 1/16-1/8" and then GRADUALLY open. If yours is not setting correctly initially then your initial shot of gas is getting used up and the choke is not taking over until the engine is nice and warm.

Lars set mine up nearly 12 years ago and it still works great on every start-up.

Get notified of new replies

To Q jet help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q jet help