C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Dark Saddle Dye Mix formula(SEM)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 09:39 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 1971 Dark Saddle Dye Mix formula(SEM)

I live about three hours from anyone who can custom mix the SEM vinyl dye. I recently sent some interior parts to the "jobber" and had them mix a quart, it is in the same color family but not close enough. Has anyone got a close match to 71 Dark Saddle and willing to share the SEM formula?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 04-13-2014, 01:24 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
I live about three hours from anyone who can custom mix the SEM vinyl dye. I recently sent some interior parts to the "jobber" and had them mix a quart, it is in the same color family but not close enough. Has anyone got a close match to 71 Dark Saddle and willing to share the SEM formula?

Thanks, Kevin
If you sent him interior parts to color match, I would imagine it is as close as he can get, being the parts would be scanned to match and can usually be pretty good. Some shops can tweek a bit to get a closer match.
The original paint,(it isn't dye BTW), would have been dupont interior color. Those were dead on as it is what was used by GM. Unfortunatly those went bye-bye, unless you get lucky with an oldtime supplier who may still have some colorants left.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:46 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

When you say DuPont interior color, due you mean a paint instead of a dye? I have the Dupont interior color number but no one can x reference the mix formula. I thought about ordering dye from Al Knoch but they don't seem to know much about what it is and I am somewhat familiar with the SEM product and how to use it.

Kevin
Old 04-13-2014, 02:07 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grumman41
When you say DuPont interior color, due you mean a paint instead of a dye? I have the Dupont interior color number but no one can x reference the mix formula. I thought about ordering dye from Al Knoch but they don't seem to know much about what it is and I am somewhat familiar with the SEM product and how to use it.

Kevin
They are all what is know as elastomeric paint. Not dye. Been around forever. When dupont phased out the colorants, the suppliers stock of the bases would be useless without the colorant.
SEM is the go to for it now, but they would be using different colorant then the dupont. Again these mixes are quite close, but obviously an exact match rerquires some trail and error which means time and money.Your method of sending an actual interior piece to match is the best way to get the closest possible match. Did you ask the supplier if he would be able to abjust the scanned formula to better match ? It may be more of the mixer than the mixes
Old 04-13-2014, 02:52 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking about making the three hour drive and just keep mixing until correct. I've had to make some compromises on the project but don't wont to on this.

Thanks for the info, Kevin
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 AM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 359 Posts

yes a very old post

Get notified of new replies

To 1971 Dark Saddle Dye Mix formula(SEM)

Quick Reply: 1971 Dark Saddle Dye Mix formula(SEM)