C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 10:05 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harmonic balancer problem

Hey my hot rod's harmonic balancer has been lightly rubbing against the timing chain cover and I finally took it off to reveal quite a groove in the cover.
My questions are:

1) whether I could have previously overtightened :smash: the crank bolt and caused the balancer to be pushed too close to the engine; or

2) whether the balancer could be shot and is moving on its own :confused: (there didn't seem to be any play or movement in the balancer under inspection); or

3) the crank bearings are worn and are causing the crank to float. :cry

4) could I just reinstall the balancer, only not tightening it so much, thereby leaving it further away from the engine, or should I put a small spacer to keep it from the engine and tighten it to a certain lbs.?

What do you think?

:chevy
Old 07-17-2002, 10:17 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: harmonic balancer problem (14-Paul)

The balancer is shot,the outside of the harmonic balancer is sliding on the rubber ring ,ya better replace it,or youll be sorry.

[Modified by pats406nitrovette, 9:18 PM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-18-2002, 12:09 AM
soundguy
Racer

Default Re: harmonic balancer problem (pats406nitrovette)

There's absolutely NO 'leaving it a little loose' allowed on a bolt that has a factory torque specification! :) Check the book and tighten it until it clicks - nothing else is acceptible.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:33 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with pat. The center part is secure, but the outer ring is slipping aft. I just bought a new one less than a year ago from Jegs and it's already slipping. I should send it back now that I'm thinking of it.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:15 AM
riorata
Instructor

Out of spec end play on the crank will do it to. Crank slides back a bit and the balancer bangs the timing cover. If the crank is moving and balancer is hitting regularly it will eventually seperate the outer ring from the inner ring. Had it happen to me 'eh! Just my $.02 :mad :cheers:

From Bahrain

River Rat (Desert Rat for now) :flag
Old 07-18-2002, 07:53 AM
V8yunkie
Racer

Agree: The balancer is shot (outer ring slippage). Get a new one and get the right one! Keep in mind there are two sizes for the mouse motor: 6,5 and 8" (much more expensive...).

The smaller unit should only be used for mild/stock engines - otherwise a moving ring is the result, as the vibration and intertia forces of a "wilder" engine will destroy the elastomere between the rings. This involves two problems: The ring might hit the chain-cover and ALSO (much more important), the timing (TDC-) mark will be way off. So get the right one and double-check timing mark position (you might have to bend the timing-tag) with a piston-stop for true TDC!

Good luck,
Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Kingt
Racer

Default Re: harmonic balancer problem (V8yunkie)

That's exactly what happened to mine. The rubber bond released and the outer part of the balance was rubbing on the timing chain cover. Like the other guys said that probably what's wrong with your's.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:26 PM
14-Paul
Instructor

Default Re: harmonic balancer problem (Kingt)

thanks guys, I wasnt familiar w/ the HB failing.

while i got it apart - this almost gives me the excuse to put a hot cam... :D

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer problem

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer problem