C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 82 ECM

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Replacing 82 ECM

Received a replacement ECM from Cardone yesterday. How difficult is it to get the ECM out from in front of the battery. Have put a Hypertech chip in years ago, but that is not same as taking ECM out. Is it just a few bolts/screws and unplug the connectors? Going back to the stock chip also. Nothing really gained with Hypertech for a daily driver on busy streets/freeways.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The ECM is just what you said, a few wire clips and screws but I would clean everything with a que tip and sand the -\+ connections.
I dis agree about the Hypertec prom! It gives the entire car a different feel! Snappier throttle, delays that annoying converter lock up and improves the gas mileage at the same time
There was an improved prom from GM in 84 but I'm not sure if it became the standard. I'll swear by the Hypertec. It was well worth the $130.
It will need to go through a learn mode for the first 60 miles or so before it settles in. Just make sure all of your sensors are working properly. O2, TPS, temp and MAP.
I'm assuming you've gone through the sticky and installed the Felpro plenum gasket and the other little tricks we've all done to our CFI cars. Good luck
Old 03-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Guess I will stay with the Hypertech then. I just remember something from years ago when installing it that when you "tune" or make adjustments to put the original prom back in first. That sure would make balancing, tps setting, etc. not easy or fast.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the improved 84 year chip in my old ecm. It was installed backwards so its probably fried. I like the delayed lockup that my hypertech provides. I wouldnt want it locked up any sooner even for daily driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing 82 ECM

Quick Reply: Replacing 82 ECM