C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem

I started the job today. I have the dash pad in front of the speedo and tach unscrewed, and the center gauges so the pad would clear it. I removed the panel under the steering column that is also holding in those switches under the dash. I took out those two big black bolts on both sides of the steering column. It needs more to drop it, so I followed it along. I left the A/C duct because I shouldn't need it for clearance as only a 1/2-3/4 inches should be enough to get up in there. I continued down the shaft to the floor where the column goes through. There there is that plate under it with two nuts on studs. It appears all I need to do is loosen these and move that plate down to get the column to move down, correct? I can get the left side one loosened, but I cannot get on the right one. My wobble sockets aren't helping that much even. If anyone can tell me if I'm supposed to even remove this, what my next step is, and any tips on getting that out that'd be great. I read Jim's FAQ on it already and looked at my GM Shop Manual, which, of course, was useless. Put this in simple terms though, I don't know what the hell some of this stuff is called yet.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:05 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem (Schmucker)

Schmucker,
I just had my steering column out of my 75. I got at the lower right hand steering column nut with a socket and two long extensions. I wonder if your problem is that you didn't remove the AC duct. I had a fairly straight shot at the nut.

BTW the flexible coupling was only designed for limited angulation. You really should loosen the column to flexible coupling connection so that you can disconnect from the flex coupling when you drop the column.

You have two choices on how you can disconnect the column.
You can either remove the two nuts and lockwashers from the bolts that extend through the steering column flange and pull the flange off the flex coupling.

Or you can mark the column flange and steering column shaft with a crayon or chalk and then remove the pinch bolt from the column flange. With the pinch bolt removed, my column shaft pulled easily out of the flange. At worst, you may have to take a large screwdriver and force it into the pinch slot on the flange to open the slot and gain some clearance.

I don't know if you have a T&T column or not. In either case, I am sending you an advance copy of my T&T column disassembly paper. Pages 5 and 6 have a complete description on dropping and removing the column.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:08 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem (Jim Shea)

What's the flexible coupling, steering column flange, and pinch bolt? I can handle the job, I have the tools, I just don't know what things are called. I have a T&T wheel, yes.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

This is pissing me off, I can't drive at night unless I change those two bulbs that are out. I can't see below 50mph.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Oh yeah, BTW, I went old school and use a wrench on that bolt. I just couldn't seem to get that A/C ducting to just drop out. I need better lighting.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:16 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

You know that Chevrolet manual is not completely useless. You should be able to begin identifying many of the parts on your Vette from the pictures and descriptions in the manual.

The flexible coupling connects the steering gear to the steering column. When you open the hood and look down under the brake booster, you should see the connection of the column to the gear. There is a bolt that is perpedicular to the steering shaft that connects the column flange to the steering column shaft. It is called a pinch bolt. Another identical bolt also connects the flexible coupling to the steering gear.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:19 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Schmucker:
The flex coupling, pinch bolt etc. refers to the flexible coupling (rag joint). Look in the engine compartment and you will see the rag joint. It is the connector between the column and the steering gear in the front end. I believe what Jim Shea is saying is that that coupling must be loosened or seperated to give you the slack to drop the column. Look under rag joint in the manual and you will see it. :cheers:
Old 07-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem (R. Bruno)

So what your saying is that I have to loosening the rag joint and I will get the slack, but first I must drop that plate with the two bolts on the floor around the column?
Old 07-17-2002, 01:32 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Also, what am I supposed to mark exactly and when do I need to do this and where?
Old 07-17-2002, 01:36 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There a three attachments that hold the steering column in the car. The attachment at the steering gear (through the flexible coupling). The attachment on the floor of your Vette (the bolt and stud that come through the floorpan and have the nuts on the right and left sides of the column). An lastly, the column has two vertical bolts that attach just above the aircondtioning duct.

If you have a 1976 or earlier Vette, there is one more attachment that your should disconnect. There is a cable that connects to a lever on the end of the steering column right under the brake booster.

Remove the two floorpan nuts. Remove the pinch bolt at the steering shaft to flange connection. Now, when you remove the two vertical bolts, you can pull the column rearward and let it drop so that the steering wheel rests on the seat. You should now have quite a bit of room to get back in behind your instrument cluster.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:09 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Yes, I now understand. Good. I just put my dash back together and I'm just going to drive it at night and see how it goes right now as a test. Check to make sure my gauges still work and stuff. I'm going to study a bit more, for maybe a week, then try again. Thanks a ton though. I've got this whole thing pictured now and I learned some terminology. I'm just trying to absorb so much. My dad understands everything mechanical, especially with a Chevy, even moreso with a Corvette (he tore apart his '64 to make it a drag car, so he has to :D ) I need to take the initiative and learn how to keep things looking normal and working. I have another car anyway, but come on, would you rather drive a Crown Victoria, or a Corvette? Can't pick up chicks in a Crown Vic, found that out the hard way... :D :cheers:
Old 07-17-2002, 02:57 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Ok, I did an experiment and I can get by without those couple dash lights. I stuck my favorite flashlight, a small rectangular Everready that has lasted me over five years on the same batteries, in between my legs and the angles are just right to have it pointed right at my speedo. I think now I can put this on my huge, insanely long, "Winter Corvette Project List." It better be a LONG winter... But working on them is half the fun, right? For every hour of work I put into a project, I get atleast two hours of joy out of knowing I did a job well done.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem

Quick Reply: Steering Column Drop/Dash Light Replacement Problem