C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk/rattle sounds coming from rear trailing arm?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunk/rattle sounds coming from rear trailing arm?

Driving over bumps, railroad tracks, and rough roads there is a clunking or rattle noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel area. I think it may be the trailing arm. I've checked the shocks and leaf spring and they appear to be good. Drive is nice and quiet and pretty smooth on good roads.
Hard to see the full trailing arm on my little jack stands so I could use some tips on what to look for that would tell me what's wrong with it.
What should I be looking for as far as problems with the trailing arm? Are there bushings in there that could have cracked?
Forgive me cause I'm new to old cars and learning as I go.
Thanks for any help and suggestions!
Sean
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

do you still see the alignment shims where the trailing arm attaches to the frame? Does the car seem darty in the rear when going through a curve?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Thanks for the reply.
Well, it wasn't anything wrong with the trailing arm after all. Took the wheel off again this morning and gave it a good look over in the sunlight. Nothing wrong with the trailing arm. Gave the wheel assembly a little shake and sure enough, the brake caliper was a bit loose. A couple of turns on the bolts and BINGO!, not more rattle or clunking noise! Man it feels good to solve the problem!
It's so nice to drive now without that noise!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
Thanks for the reply.
Well, it wasn't anything wrong with the trailing arm after all. Took the wheel off again this morning and gave it a good look over in the sunlight. Nothing wrong with the trailing arm. Gave the wheel assembly a little shake and sure enough, the brake caliper was a bit loose. A couple of turns on the bolts and BINGO!, not more rattle or clunking noise! Man it feels good to solve the problem!
It's so nice to drive now without that noise!
Did ya check the other side too, for that matter all four? Last brake job done? Calipers without bolts could make for an interesting ride
Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

No, but your right. I should go do that while the weather is nice.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Get notified of new replies

To Clunk/rattle sounds coming from rear trailing arm?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk/rattle sounds coming from rear trailing arm?