C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revisit Tall Valve Covers on Big Block threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Revisit Tall Valve Covers on Big Block threads

Hi folks, so after reading all of the threads on the subject and measuring as best I could, I figured I'd see if there are any more recent attempts and how its worked out.

Mark Jones (Vortecpro) is building me a 496 for my '71 and I need wanted to send him some valve covers to use. I really like the tall style ones which are generally 3.75" tall.

I have a hydroboost so no brake booster issues.
I am removing the evaporator
I am doing a serpentine pulley kit that should move the alternator out a bit

The only possible issues look like the wiper door vacuum canister will be sitting closely on top of the back of the passenger side valve cover and the bulkhead on the driver's side will be within an inch or less.

The motor will put out 600+HP and TQ so how much will it "move"? Am I cutting it too close?

Sure, the roller rockers might fit under some shorter covers but I really like the tall ones.

Any firm experiences with this out there?
Thanks!!
Mike

Last edited by mike229; 03-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by mike229
Hi folks, so after reading all of the threads on the subject and measuring as best I could, I figured I'd see if there are any more recent attempts and how its worked out.

Mark Jones (Vortecpro) is building me a 496 for my '71 and I need wanted to send him some valve covers to use. I really like the tall style ones which are generally 3.75" tall.

The only possible issues look like the wiper door vacuum canister will be sitting closely on top of the back of the passenger side valve cover and the bulkhead on the driver's side will be within an inch or less.

The motor will put out 600+HP and TQ so how much will it "move"? Am I cutting it too close?

Sure, the roller rockers might fit under some shorter covers but I really like the tall ones.

Thanks!!
Mike

I use the valve covers from CFR performance. They are stock appearing but 3/4" taller. Not noticeable to the untrained eye. They will clear roller rockers easy. No issue with the wiper door actuator.. It's not even remotely close.. (2-3" away)

Use Energy Suspension poly motor mounts, also buy the heat shields for them. The engine will shake a little but won't shift side to side too much... Less then 1/2" side to side movement.

As for the engine, if its the HYD roller 496 from MJ, you will be closer to 700hp, not 600. You really need a TALL L88 hood to not choke it to death. A regular L88 hood will clear with the LTI/L88 style 2" drop base air cleaner and a 3" element, but it will kill about 20-25 rwhp. That's assuming you have a carb with no choke tower.

Check my old threads for tons of pics/info on putting that 496 in and making it run efficiently with no issues.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mike229

Thanks!!
Mike
I have Brodix 'tall' valve covers on my 489 cu in '68 - plenty of clearance under wiper door actuator. Changed to 'poly' engine mounts to reduce engine movement but there was still 'interference' with bulkhead due to torque reaction. I had 'relieve' bulkead adjacent to rear outer corner of driver side bulkhead and 're-glass'.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:56 PM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you both for the replies.

Alan - I am definitely going to copy you on the mounts...as for the hood, I am going to cut a hole in my BB hood and add on the 3"-4" stinger scoop which is open in front and back and should provide plenty of clearance / flow. Like the Baldwin Motion Hoods...I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your project, and have noted much of what you did.

Rosco - You hit the nail on the head. I can see the wiper actuator is not going to be a problem and as for the bulkhead, I just went out and looked again and it seems a previous owner has already "relieved" it for me Actually now I recall the story of my car, it had a tall deck motor in it at some point. Maybe that would have been the reason. Anyway, I am going to order the tall covers - seems like a low risk now!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have no problems with the tall valve covers, I did everything Alan said and have had no issues at all, Just went on a 200 mile trip today and cant say enough good things about my motor, Its a beast

Get notified of new replies

To Revisit Tall Valve Covers on Big Block threads

Quick Reply: Revisit Tall Valve Covers on Big Block threads