C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a distributor on my 80

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
joefloyd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a distributor on my 80

I purchased a Mallory Distributor and plan on replacing my stock distributor. This Mallory is direct fit for my 80. I have replaced distributors but is was a long time ago. Can you tell me how to go about it ??? .
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
gsixl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove cap and note position of rotor. Remove hold down clamp pull old distributor. Install new distributor with rotor in same position as old. May have to bump starter to get the distributor to fall into the oil pump. Install hold down clamp and snug it down.. Transfer wires to the new cap in the same position and order as the old one. Start car and set timing.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Camivette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark wires and remove. Remove cap. Mark position of rotor. remove dist hold downn and start to remove dizzy.....mark new position of rotor as it will turn when removing. Install: Hold dizzy above hole and turn rotor to 2nd mark made when removing. Look down and see if the oil pump drive will line up with the tang on dizzy when you drop it in...a long screwdriver will help you turm the oil pump drive to get it close. Drop the dizzy in. If you're on, the rotor will spin to your marked position 1 and the tang will drop in the pump drive. Tighten down loosely, reconnect and retime
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Camivette
Mark wires and remove. Remove cap. Mark position of rotor. remove dist hold downn and start to remove dizzy.....mark new position of rotor as it will turn when removing. Install: Hold dizzy above hole and turn rotor to 2nd mark made when removing. Look down and see if the oil pump drive will line up with the tang on dizzy when you drop it in...a long screwdriver will help you turm the oil pump drive to get it close. Drop the dizzy in. If you're on, the rotor will spin to your marked position 1 and the tang will drop in the pump drive. Tighten down loosely, reconnect and retime
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM
gsixl
Instructor

Dizzy?
Old 03-06-2014, 12:12 PM
joefloyd
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsixl
Remove cap and note position of rotor. Remove hold down clamp pull old distributor. Install new distributor with rotor in same position as old. May have to bump starter to get the distributor to fall into the oil pump. Install hold down clamp and snug it down.. Transfer wires to the new cap in the same position and order as the old one. Start car and set timing.
Thank you for the help
Old 03-06-2014, 12:14 PM
joefloyd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chinaski
Thank you for the help
Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 PM
joefloyd
Instructor

Originally Posted by joefloyd
I purchased a Mallory Distributor and plan on replacing my stock distributor. This Mallory is direct fit for my 80. I have replaced distributors but is was a long time ago. Can you tell me how to go about it ??? .
Thank you for the help.
JOE FLOYD
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

I WOULD Not bump the motor over... Set the oil pump drive to match dist is easier and safer.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:36 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I just replaced my Malory with an MSD. The position of the gear on the distributor was about 1/2 tooth different that the Mallory but the rotor lined up in the same general position. One tooth in either direction was obviously wrong. I made a swag adjustment to compensate then I snugged the hold down bolt and it fired up with no problem. The timing was a bit low but the timing light fixed that. After engine was warmed up I fine tuned it. Said all that to say that Camivette is spot on but rotor alignment might not be exactly the same as previous distributor.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gsixl
Dizzy?
Dizzy is slang for distributor. Like tranny for transmission and carb for carburetor.

Scott
Old 03-07-2014, 06:55 AM
gsixl
Instructor

Originally Posted by diehrd
I WOULD Not bump the motor over... Set the oil pump drive to match dist is easier and safer.
I have done it this way for years. Never had an issue. Goggle it if you like. I will have mine running while your still trying to install yours.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:18 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Why replace the stock dissy?

Joe,

Why would you want to replace what is probably the best factory distributor ever built? If it's just to show off to people and say "I've got a Mallory" well, OK. But the factory HEI is in the opinion of many knowledgeable people a very good reliable dissy that rarely gives problems. If yours is worn or the module has failed, it would almost certainly cost you less to rebuild it with new parts than to replace the whole dissy with an aftermarket one.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Joe,

Why would you want to replace what is probably the best factory distributor ever built? If it's just to show off to people and say "I've got a Mallory" well, OK. But the factory HEI is in the opinion of many knowledgeable people a very good reliable dissy that rarely gives problems. If yours is worn or the module has failed, it would almost certainly cost you less to rebuild it with new parts than to replace the whole dissy with an aftermarket one.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Totally correct, no question about it.....

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a distributor on my 80

Quick Reply: Replacing a distributor on my 80