C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD ignition for supercharged engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 AM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default MSD ignition for supercharged engines

I am using a Weiand 142 on a SBC. MSD has two controllers I am looking at, the 6BTM and the 6al-2 programmable. Also there is a black box ignition controller that looks interesting.
http://www.cbperformance.com/Product...oductCode=2013

I have looked at a few forums but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with these and what the level of satisfaction is.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:17 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by akdale
I am using a Weiand 142 on a SBC. MSD has two controllers I am looking at, the 6BTM and the 6al-2 programmable. Also there is a black box ignition controller that looks interesting.
http://www.cbperformance.com/Product...oductCode=2013

I have looked at a few forums but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with these and what the level of satisfaction is.
MSD ignition products are the best. I have never used one with a supercharger but that should not make a difference. I just picked my Vette up in January and MSD 6al is on my todo list for sure!You will get a complete fuel burn and throttle response is kick ***!
Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Did I get in your ear on the programmable?
Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I did a 670-horse supercharged 383, and used the MSD6 BTM with outstanding success.

This is the engine installation with the Vortech blower:

To provide boost retard, I fabricated a subassembly electrical panel with the MSD, the retard control ****, oil pressure activated fuel pump relay, and power feed for ignition and fuel system:

Installed in the engine compartment:

Running the maximum retard setting, the engine picked up 60 horsepower under boost compared to the non-retard position. The system has been operating without any issues for almost a year now.

Lars
Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Did I get in your ear on the programmable?
You did and the little black box I pm'd you on is of interest too. The 6al requires a MAP sensor , BTM does not. But some of the other features of the 6al are of interest too.

Im going to call MSD and try to get more information from them before making the decision
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by lars
I did a 670-horse supercharged 383, and used the MSD6 BTM with outstanding success.

This is the engine installation with the Vortech blower:

To provide boost retard, I fabricated a subassembly electrical panel with the MSD, the retard control ****, oil pressure activated fuel pump relay, and power feed for ignition and fuel system:

Installed in the engine compartment:

Running the maximum retard setting, the engine picked up 60 horsepower under boost compared to the non-retard position. The system has been operating without any issues for almost a year now.

Lars
Thanks Lars, this is what I was looking for. I am addressing the ignition system as a whole to include distributor and timing. The addition of the programmable features to the 6AL has me wondering which solution will be best. The BTM does not require me to install a MAP sensor but it also does not seem as customizable as the new 6AL. But that might get me into trouble too and it is likely that once I set the 6AL up with a boost retard curve and rev limit, I will never change it so is the ability to play necessary? Questions I have to resolve before the purchase.

I have one of the cheap HEI distributors with a hypertech coil. It seems to be working. I am not using vacuum advance.....yet.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 PM
akdale
Racer

So I pulled the trigger on the MSD 6530 programmable. Locked out dist by making a plate that holds all four pins in place. I had previously installed a max advance stop so that's where I locked it out at. 32 degrees max advance. The beauty of this ignition is the ability to custom tune advance via the laptop. I have the 2 bar Map sensor for boost retard signal. I can plug the laptop in and make a run and see what's going on, or at least a copilot can. As soon as the rain stops will post my opinion and experience. I know at least one member who was looking to do this with a similar engine config.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

So I pulled the trigger on the MSD 6530 programmable. Locked out dist by making a plate that holds all four pins in place. I had previously installed a max advance stop so that's where I locked it out at. 32 degrees max advance. The beauty of this ignition is the ability to custom tune advance via the laptop. I have the 2 bar Map sensor for boost retard signal. I can plug the laptop in and make a run and see what's going on, or at least a copilot can. As soon as the rain stops will post my opinion and experience. I know at least one member who was looking to do this with a similar engine config.
Yea this rain is kicking my ***. Wanted to go to the track today, but that ain't happening.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

You can use the following to screen capture your laptop. Includes a screen recorder app.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=24601
The free version allows you to record 10 minutes max. Plenty for 1 run.

Also watch this video on rotor phasing. It is worth checking when using a retard timing controller. I am also using the 6530 programable with a MSD 85501 locked dist. I checked the rotor phasing of the stock rotor and surprised how far off it was. Bad part for this testing is you need to modify 1 dist cap.

I find this unit easy to use and you can quickly load saved curves. The harder part is working with the MAP sensors and knowing what to change and when. Takes a little trial and error. This sure beats replacing springs and weights in the dist. Since I dont drag race I cannot use most of the features for burnout / lauch curves etc. Anyone that likes to drag race would find this great to maximize there tune. This only falls short of a complete ECU system.

It does take a little getting use to think about how much retard vs how much advance, but once you are past that its simple to understand.

Enjoy.!

Last edited by cagotzmann; 08-17-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
You can use the following to screen capture your laptop. Includes a screen recorder app.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=24601
The free version allows you to record 10 minutes max. Plenty for 1 run.

Also watch this video on rotor phasing. It is worth checking when using a retard timing controller. I am also using the 6530 programable with a MSD 85501 locked dist. I checked the rotor phasing of the stock rotor and surprised how far off it was. Bad part for this testing is you need to modify 1 dist cap.

I find this unit easy to use and you can quickly load saved curves. The harder part is working with the MAP sensors and knowing what to change and when. Takes a little trial and error. This sure beats replacing springs and weights in the dist. Since I dont drag race I cannot use most of the features for burnout / lauch curves etc. Anyone that likes to drag race would find this great to maximize there tune. This only falls short of a complete ECU system.

It does take a little getting use to think about how much retard vs how much advance, but once you are past that its simple to understand.

Enjoy.!
MSD Tech: Rotor Phasing - YouTube
Thanks, I have a clear cap so that worked good for phasing. at idle the phase is off but by 2800 rpm its almost dead on. Modifiying the HEI would be a bit of a pain but I may do it to make it closer
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks, I have a clear cap so that worked good for phasing. at idle the phase is off but by 2800 rpm its almost dead on. Modifiying the HEI would be a bit of a pain but I may do it to make it closer
Your gonna have to let me look at the install when I get back from the slope.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

going to a supercharger, you may as well go al the way and use a Mallory magneto....none better for a perfect running race engine....

Get notified of new replies

To MSD ignition for supercharged engines

Quick Reply: MSD ignition for supercharged engines