C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 C3 Differential Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:18 PM
emwolb01
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 C3 Differential Rebuild

Have my 1982 differential on the bench. When I opened it up, the clutch spacer had spun and the tab of the shim was offset by about a 1/4 inch and clip was severed, with part of it wedged into the side away from moving parts. Bought new clips and am putting it back together.

My question:
The original clutch packs looked good so I decided to reuse them When putting back the originals with new clips, the fit is very tight. To the point where it was difficult to get the gears in and I cannot turn the gears by hand or with a lever. I am thinking the PO rebuilt it incorrectly. I would like to go to a thinner spacer per Tom Eaton's video where I can get gear movement. I can't find the spacers on line. Are those special order? Or am I missing them on line?

Last edited by emwolb01; 03-01-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 PM
glackore
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact tracdogg2 here on the forum.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 AM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Dana 44's do not use spacers, just a Belleville spring plate. Removing the plate and using shims to add clearance will prematurely wear out the clutches. The fact that you were able to re-install the clutches without certain tools tells me your clutches are worn out.
The 80-82 Corvette posi carrier has a design flaw, which is why the clutches stripped (broke the retainer and the discs moved). If you reuse the carrier it will happen again, very soon.
When it comes to the Dana, if anything goes easy you did it wrong.
Mike
Old 10-01-2014, 05:23 PM
dreamweaver1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you find the replacement Clutch pack clips. I have two carriers as spares and one has broken clips. I've looked every where I can think of.

Thanks....

Get notified of new replies

To 82 C3 Differential Rebuild

Quick Reply: 82 C3 Differential Rebuild