C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Alignment and door gap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Body Alignment and door gap.

So the body on my 79 is back on and I reinstalled the same number of body mount shims in the same locations as where they came from. Now there is a large gap between the upper part of the fenders and the upper leading edge of the doors. It is the same on both side and the doors aligned just fine every where else. I tried removing the shims on both of the forward mounts #1 and 2 on both sides and that brought the back of the doors down and gave room to readjust the doors and make the gap smaller but it is still almost 1/2 of an inch. I then added shims to mounts 3 and 4 but that did not help and made nothing fit correctly.
I had earlier decided to take the car to a body shop to have it painted and thought maybe they can get it but they are also stumped. I even spent the afternoon there helping them. It is a dealership body shop and they have experience with Corvettes, just not older ones.
Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mac79vette
So the body on my 79 is back on and I reinstalled the same number of body mount shims in the same locations as where they came from. Now there is a large gap between the upper part of the fenders and the upper leading edge of the doors. It is the same on both side and the doors aligned just fine every where else. I tried removing the shims on both of the forward mounts #1 and 2 on both sides and that brought the back of the doors down and gave room to readjust the doors and make the gap smaller but it is still almost 1/2 of an inch. I then added shims to mounts 3 and 4 but that did not help and made nothing fit correctly.
I had earlier decided to take the car to a body shop to have it painted and thought maybe they can get it but they are also stumped. I even spent the afternoon there helping them. It is a dealership body shop and they have experience with Corvettes, just not older ones.
Any ideas?
They tend to have rather large gaps there anyway. Adjust the door to the front fender as best you can, then lower #3 and increase #4.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Since you have a coupe, you will not be able to move things much.
On a convertible, the shim changes can make dramatic differences in the front and rear door gaps. Sometimes you even have to realign the folding top attachments and window seals after a shim change.
Good luck to you, buddy...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Since you have a coupe, you will not be able to move things much.
On a convertible, the shim changes can make dramatic differences in the front and rear door gaps. Sometimes you even have to realign the folding top attachments and window seals after a shim change.
Good luck to you, buddy...

With the steel joining your windshield frame to you "B" pillar area...getting the gaps to close up or widen on a coupe is really tough.

Stop and look at it and think about it. It makes sense....and if it was a convertible like gcusmano74 stated...this area can be changed quite easily due to steel not joining the "A" pillar to the "B" pillar.

DID you take very good gap measurements BEFORE you took it apart????

If so...did you have the frame straightened???

DUB
DUB
Old 03-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

If the doors are fine otherwise, have the body shop build up the edges of the door.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 PM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
If the doors are fine otherwise, have the body shop build up the edges of the door.

I spent weeks trying to align my 74 coupes doors
after installing my Lambo door hinges.
It was driving me CRAZY !!!!
What I found was that the nose had drooped !!!
Might be something to consider.
When I finally get around to repainting her, I'm gonna do all the body mounts
then get doors as close as possible, then "glass" the gaps smaller.
Good Luck.
CHEERS,
GAV
Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm assuming you put new body mounts on if so what kind did you use?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The front end of my '73 dropped significantly when the rad support was removed...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by havesometo
I'm assuming you put new body mounts on if so what kind did you use?
I used stock rubber ones that I bought from Zip Corvette.

Might have been Ecklers.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
The front end of my '73 dropped significantly when the rad support was removed...
I thought of that and removed the bolt that hold the rad support to the frame and gently lifted up on the front but no difference at the finder to door area.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Ok body mounts should be fine. Someone else posted that the nose may have dropped. If you look in front of the front tires on the frame should be three bolts. This is what I had to do. loosen those bolts on both sides car put jack under front end and jack it up until the gap close. And while the jack is still jacked up tighten the bolts and see if that helps you out.

Get notified of new replies

To Body Alignment and door gap.

Quick Reply: Body Alignment and door gap.