C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antenna Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 PM
75sl48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Removal

I want to remove the original mast antenna on my 75 because it's wavy from being bent by who knows who. I couldn't find any tips or tricks as to making it easier than it was last night. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. I used a 9/16 wrench to hold just under the antenna itself and a pair of channel locks on the antenna base, thing wouldn't budge. I'm a bit reluctant to use heat for obvious reasons. Anyone got a tip or is it gonna come down to shear force and will. Lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 76' was missing the mast and just the base was there. I think the anchor nut jams a bit because of corrosion of the aluminum/pot metal threads.

I would take your time and soak with some penetrating oil that wont harm the paint and work at it back and forth. You certainly would not want to get too rough as to crack the paint or fiberglass.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:04 AM
75sl48
Advanced

So from looking pics online it seems like the mast is held in place by pressure from the jam nut, correct?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:15 AM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

Yes, it works like a tubing fitting... The mast slips down into the mounting base and the nut is like a compression ring...as stated the metals will kinda weld themselves together with corrision... How ever a person can get the shaft very close to straight by hand ... By reverse bending using your thumb as a back up and palm of the other hand to bend and straighten the kinks...I figured it out by watching coiled and bent oilfield tubing being straighten out... It only takes a few minutes to figure out...it you do get it out you can roll it back straight by using a flat bar or wooden stake.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with Texas, you should be able to straighten the antenna out. Might be easier with it off though, of course. You should only need a wrench...I would not be using channel locks on it. The jam nut is like a little hat with two flats on the sides for a wrench. Soak it with some penetrating oil as stated above and then use just the wrench to wiggle the nut loose of the base. Might take a little time, but it will move eventually. Antenna just pops out then. I take mine off every time I store the car for the winter, etc.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:17 AM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Antenna

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
I agree with Texas, you should be able to straighten the antenna out. Might be easier with it off though, of course. You should only need a wrench...I would not be using channel locks on it. The jam nut is like a little hat with two flats on the sides for a wrench. Soak it with some penetrating oil as stated above and then use just the wrench to wiggle the nut loose of the base. Might take a little time, but it will move eventually. Antenna just pops out then. I take mine off every time I store the car for the winter, etc.
I TAKE IT OFF WHEN I COVER THE VETTE FOR THE WINTER
Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM
75sl48
Advanced

Ah ok. It seized in there then cause the jam nut comes right off. I also want to take it off so I can put a smaller one on. I never did like the look of the mast. It's just to tall imo.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

In that case maybe try getting some penetrating oil in there and leave it for a day, then just tap away at it with a rubber mallet or something.

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna Removal

Quick Reply: Antenna Removal