C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Felpro Oil Pan Gasket is going to be the death of me

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I argue about the mechanic or engine builder but that is not important, nonetheless they are one of the best but that's my opinion.

I am positive about the motor it's an 89 GM Pontiac block 355 SBC. There is nothing wrong with the pan, and I know what I am doing.

There are very mixed opinions obviously on the topic. But I want a solution not an opinion. So if someone can tell me why it's better to do one over the other I'm all ears.

As it would seem all three work!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Also I don't think it's the seals because the rear seal was fine before I took it apart.

My guess would be the gasket slipped when I bolted up the rear. Hard to see with the transition shroud in the way.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:07 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
You're talking about the one-piece FelPro ?..........If so, just follow the instructions and put nothing on it. If it makes you feel better, add a dab of RTV at the timing cover corners, but it's not necessary. I've installed this way and never had a leak. Don't over tighten.....I believe the bolt holes have a slight metal guide that lets you know when you're tight enough.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Thanks everyone for all the feedback much appreciated
Old 02-27-2014, 07:36 AM
Frank O'Hara
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thick front gasket

I had a similar problem with the front of the pan leaking. I found that Felpro makes a one piece gasket with a thick front. This made a huge difference for me
Old 02-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Schaggy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run into this and found that a meticulous clean, the fel-pro one-piece blue gasket and some the Right Stuff in the corners is the recipe that works for me.

My $.02

Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:54 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I am going to be installing one of these this weekend since I just installed a Borgeson steering box and have easy access to the pan. When I was young I would slather silicum all over the place but have found over the years that less to none silicum and attention to detail is better! That's my 2 cents!
Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Summit sells a thicker .170" one piece gasket. I'm going to try it this weekend, with a thin bead of RTV on both sides.
Bee Jay
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

There is only ONE type of silicone sealant that is made to work with petroleum products (fuel, oil, grease). That is RTV Black sealant. No other brand or type of silicone product is meant for petroleum, nor will it prevent eventual leakage.

The best sealant for gaskets/petroleum is Permatex #2 gasket sealer. It is easy to use, non-hardening, and WORKS!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Given much debate I have done some research this afternoon and called 4 of the top engine builders for dirt race cars as I used to run one.

Oddly enough they all had the same procedure for installation of an oil pan. The builders all make engines for WISOTA, World of Outlaws, Lucas Oil Series, USMTS as well as local cars.

They use black RTV only.....The Right Stuff is the best.

Draw a bead on the pan do a circle around the bolt holes that is roughly 2-3mm thick or the thickness of a number two pencil.

Place the "Blue FELPRO" gasket on the pan, ensure no RTV pushed out into the pan.

Draw another bead on the gasket doing the same method as listed above.

Seal the pan to the engine block starting with the middle bolts first and tourqe to spec.

Let the oil pan once complete sit for 12-24-36 hours or as recommended on the RTV that you used. Then add oil and fire the engine.

Hard to argue with engine builders that produce $20,000 and up engines.

Guess that means that all thoese guys who run on Saturday night with thier $40,000 engines in thier cars need to go out and find them a "NEW MECHANIC"...huh.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Thanks guys on all the feedback.....I do appreceate the advice and what works for you. Although a number of different opinions its alwasy good to know how others do it in case you need more options.

I am about 99% positive that my pan was bad and causing all of the issues but we will see this evening when I start wrenchin.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 PM
BEVO76
Pro

UPDATE:

We'll your never going to believe what the issues was. Got the pan off tonight to take a look. I have 2 studs in the rear to hold the pan on. The right rear stud had the metal washer from inside the old gasket stuck on the stud. When I put the new gasket on it too had another metal washer in the gasket. So I had two of those on the same side. It left a 1/8 in gap causing my leak......we'll I will be damned if I have ever seen such a thing.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

At least now you now EXACTLY what the root cause of the problem was. I've never used a one piece gasket on the pan. I KNOW that the rear rubber end for the old style has a rib that kind of seems to snap into the groove in the rear cap. Put both the side gaskets on, then the ends with a little RTV on the corners and done.
Does the one piece gasket have little ribs on the front and rear of the back main cap loop?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
Do you guys see what I am talking about:

2 VOTES for corners only

2 VOTES for the entire gasket

2 VOTES for NONE
None VOTE, and when using silicone, its a gasket by themselves...then go and add the full surround gaskets means you have two ...SILICONE IN THE CORNERS is good or OK...but not two gaskets....

by the way Felpro does have a gasket to fit opposite side dip stick blocks and comes in the standard pan gasket you glue to the pan rails...best achieved with 3-M trim cement

but whatever,
Old 02-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 390 Likes on 316 Posts

It sounds as though You have it figured out. Most people know that there are Two Oil Pan Gasket for the SBC but there are really at least four. The Pan rails are the same but its the ends that are different. In about the 1969 to 72 era is when GM made the change but the aftermarket did not change along with them. So its kind'a up to who made the Pan and or Timing cover as to what gasket to use. I had a 1971 010 Block with a Moroso Pan and I had to use a Medium Thick gasket. In modern times I have never been able to find this gasket. Then there is the Pontiac Rocket Block gasket, which is kind of a combination of all the above. The last time I checked it is still not available in a 1 piece.

Quick Reply: Felpro Oil Pan Gasket is going to be the death of me