C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little help nailing down the internals

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:37 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
Good guess. The diff alone is $4800. For everything wheel to wheel figure $8400. And this setup is going to need everything. For brakes to stop it figure $2000-$4800.
Mike
Not a guess. Been there done that. He will learn.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:52 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

I was quoting current prices from yours truly.
Mike
Old 02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

But hey if a supercharger really pushes your piston
Yes, yes it does :P
all i can use is thumb rules. 10psi boost should increase hp by 50%
so, 5 is 25% and 15 75%? or what would be the increments? generally speaking though, 10 psi would be close enough.. i just dont want a lot of "close enough" parts and then end up @ 650hp...

Ok josh, i will try to get u better numbers but the problem is we really need accurate information for brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) and volumetric efficiency (VE) which would be from an assembled and dyno'd engine. You VE using supercharging will be somewhere >1 and the BSFC may be worst than 0.5. Since u are a legitimate enthusiast and genuinely interested inthis i will look into this as time permits but please be patient.

Something else u will have to choose and use is a big azz pull through carb or maybe 2 small pull through carbs. Not difficult but not an ordinary carb either.

U may want to even consider a water/methanol injection or even just plain water injection that activates at WOT. This can be a big help with the heat producing roots type blower and allow the correct ign adv to optimize power/torque.
And let me throw this at u, the latest option for supercharging is E85 fuel which burns much cooler and has a much greater octane rating (over 100) allowing higher compression and more ign advance. But it would then be a E85 only motor - and hope they sell E85 locally.

Start looking for your supercharger - forums parts classifieds, ebay, craigslist - im told there is a search application for nation wide craigslist searches. Companies used to sell rebuilt industrial roots superchargers too.

Hope to talk to u soon,
cardo0
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Not a guess. Been there done that. He will learn.
I understand what 800hp will do to stock parts. For the purposes of THIS THREAD i am not worried about those things. controlling power has been discussed in many other threads. i understand what will and will not need to be done, and what i will and will not be doing to control it. Thank you for the concern.
Something else u will have to choose and use is a big azz pull through carb or maybe 2 small pull through carbs. Not difficult but not an ordinary carb either.
while i have not nailed down exactly which i will use, i have included the cost of this in my original post.. i had budgeted roughly 7-800 for a supercharger specific carb.
we really need accurate information for brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) and volumetric efficiency (VE) which would be from an assembled and dyno'd engine.
i dont have an engine that i can dyno right now, which unless i read wrong seems to be the information you are looking for. i was asking for this info more along the lines of i wouldnt know what to tell anyone when i called to ask about cam shafts later... That would be the one place I'd get on the phone or email-- But you're going to need some specific specs first. CID, trans, rear gear, car weight, tire size, compression and how much boost you plan on running. All that will play into the cam selection. That is why right now i speak in generalities. perhaps i will need to speak with the blower people and then to the cam people.. I dont know enough about psi of boost in relation to hp made.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtried
I understand what 800hp will do to stock parts. For the purposes of THIS THREAD i am not worried about those things.
This should be entertaining. Make sure to video tape everything.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here you go. Parts list and price assembled to support supercharged 800 HP.

http://www.ultrastreet.net/poweradde...engine_pwr.php

You can save some money if you go Small block. http://www.ultrastreet.net/poweradde...engine_pwr.php

This is just the motor assembled and dyno tuned. You still need trans, differential, axles, halfshafts, outer axles, brakes, suspension that will allow you to use the power. You seem to not be grasping what is involved in putting 800 HP to the pavement. No budget is a real good way to approach it.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

quickest and cheapest way to get to 800 and really have a car you can drive..not just overheat with an air pump (old style blower...)..

Just get a crate GM 502.. http://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/12496963.html

then use 2 stage nitrous... spray say 150 off the line...then bring in another 200 down the track... you'll be at 850...and you can drive around all day on the 502... with no overheating....no issues, etc...

stick an 850 barry grant on top..and you're done...
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

63mako is so so correct... im shooting for 650+hp, and I am into it about $15,000

my previous 383 was around 500hp, with a budget bottom end cast Skat crank which i snapped in half....

my wife has a saying from Russia,,,,, cheap buys twice... she is correct.

800hp will have to have a bullet proof bottom end.... just the crank and rods will eat up your entire budget...and your not going to get 800hp from junk or any stock head.,... so now thats another $2K+

sorry, but i think your dreaming about 800hp with that budget. and if you do get it, it wont last long before you have a major catastrophe.

but.... jmho....

good luck brother!! p:-)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I admire what Pauldana and mako do with small blocks... i've just never seen a small block hold together on the big end for say a couple seasons or running hard...

we've even considered a duramax conversion for reliable hp/tq....for something different ..if you're going to 800hp...its something to consider..
Old 03-07-2014, 03:16 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

10 to 11 psi boost for a 496" BB.

From the ProCharger w/s: a 100% increase can generally be achieved at around 17 psi on an engine with 9:1 compression running pump gas. http://www.procharger.com/faq.shtml#3

well 100% / 17psi = 5.9% power/psi boost. And other sources say 5% to 6% power increase/psi boost.

So for a 1 hp/cubic inch 496 BB 800hp would be 61% increase and 61%/5.5%/psi = 11psi boost.

For a 9:1 c.r. 496" BB your looking for 11psi supercharger boost.

BTW most street superchargers run below 10psi boost.

Good luck Josh,
cardo0
Old 03-07-2014, 03:46 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

What hasn't been mentioned here that I've seen is an expensive electronic timing boost control to keep this beast out of destructive detonation. Without timing/boost control you better start buying pistons by the 24 count carton.

Quick Reply: little help nailing down the internals