C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 1980 signal lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Danieljta
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 1980 signal lights.

So I have been battling out some on going issues with the directional lights on my '80 corvette. So far I've replaced the flasher, fixed a bad ground, checked all bulbs ,and cleaned the sockets up while I was in there. But things still don't seem right. The hazards work great but when I use my left/right signal the front blinker and front corner panel indicator blink at opposite times (is this normal?) and the white front corner panel light comes on constant.. only when I signal to that side, no other time. Whether the headlights are on or off. Seems weird right? Also my right indicator light on the dash doesn't work, I replaced all the bulbs in the cluster.

Any input would be really appreciated!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:51 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Danieljta
So I have been battling out some on going issues with the directional lights on my '80 corvette. So far I've replaced the flasher, fixed a bad ground, checked all bulbs ,and cleaned the sockets up while I was in there. But things still don't seem right. The hazards work great but when I use my left/right signal the front blinker and front corner panel indicator blink at opposite times (is this normal?) and the white front corner panel light comes on constant.. only when I signal to that side, no other time. Whether the headlights are on or off. Seems weird right? Also my right indicator light on the dash doesn't work, I replaced all the bulbs in the cluster.

Any input would be really appreciated!
I do believe it is all working as designed. That is how my 80 has always worked.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Jig A Low
Pro

first thing to check is the bulbs, make sure that you have the correct bulbs in the lights, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen dual element bulbs in single element sockets and vice/versa.

then start checking the grounds again, there are a couple on the nose that can cause issues.

the right turn indicator could be either a bad bulb socket or the film "circuit board" on the back of the gauges could be messed up, they are VERY fragile and it doesn't take much to mess them up, the are that the large connector plugs into on the back of the gauges can be a real pain too.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Crash80
I do believe it is all working as designed. That is how my 80 has always worked.
Yep. If memory serves, the owner's manual explains it.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Danieljta
6th Gear

Alright, just wanted to make sure. Seemed pretty odd to me. Thanks for the info guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with 1980 signal lights.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1980 signal lights.