C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on vibration after trans swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM
ryanpe56
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice on vibration after trans swap

I installed an RS500 in my '69 small block. It has a stock bell housing which checked well within tolerance relative to concentricity. I installed a Centerforce clutch assembly. The completed job had severe vibration at about 3000 rpm. I pulled it back out and had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced together. They were way off balance. About 30g. After reinstall the vibration is not as bad but still there. It's not at 3000 rpm but now at 3600 rpm. I'm pissed. I now plan on installing a new Ram billet flywheel and a new clutch and pressure plate. The vibration is definitely the engine as it will vibrate in neutral with the pedal depressed. Any thoughts on my plan? Nothing but the trans was changed out and it was vibration free with the Muncie. I just replaced the motor mounts and front balancer as well but no change. The only changes I made was the clutch and flywheel ring gear and the RS500. The trans is wonderful and drive ability is great so I need to eliminate the vibration (I can drive through the vibration as it goes away at about 4300 rpm).
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanpe56
I installed an RS500 in my '69 small block. It has a stock bell housing which checked well within tolerance relative to concentricity. I installed a Centerforce clutch assembly. The completed job had severe vibration at about 3000 rpm. I pulled it back out and had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced together. They were way off balance. About 30g. After reinstall the vibration is not as bad but still there. It's not at 3000 rpm but now at 3600 rpm. I'm pissed. I now plan on installing a new Ram billet flywheel and a new clutch and pressure plate. The vibration is definitely the engine as it will vibrate in neutral with the pedal depressed. Any thoughts on my plan? Nothing but the trans was changed out and it was vibration free with the Muncie. I just replaced the motor mounts and front balancer as well but no change. The only changes I made was the clutch and flywheel ring gear and the RS500. The trans is wonderful and drive ability Reece is great so I need to eliminate the vibration (I can drive through the vibration as it goes away at about 4300 rpm).
Maybe the transmission or driveshaft is touching in the tunnel. When I installed my RS I had to shim the floor pan a good bit to eliminate interference. The whole car feels like it's falling apart if there is any.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:08 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

If your drive shaft angles are not identical at both joints you can get harmonic resonation.
But this would depend on the speed, if you have the vibration in any gear its not the drive shaft.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

I just finished installing a TKO 600 in my '79 to replace the automatic. I have a Centerforce clutch as well and I have a vibration too. Its minor and its around 2500 rpm. This is the third Centerforce I have experience with, but the first with the vibration. A Google search reveals a LOT of guys having vibration problems with Centerforce clutches. In my case the engine is an externally balanced 383, so I had to have the flywheel balanced to match the flex plate from the automatic. So, I'm not sure if the vibration is from the flywheel not being properly balanced, or the pressure plate being out of balance. I think my plan is going to be to remove the clutch and run the engine to see if the vibration is gone.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:10 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

out of alignment driveshaft, here is the fix:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...lso-still.html

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on vibration after trans swap

Quick Reply: Advice on vibration after trans swap