C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 crossfire rough idle,headlamps dont work

Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM
dftnbodyman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 crossfire rough idle,headlamps dont work

I have a 1982 crossfire eng. ,it has a rough idle, the headlamp will not come up , at full throttle it spits and pops. all of this started at one time . Is this a common problem, please help !!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by dftnbodyman
I have a 1982 crossfire eng. ,it has a rough idle, the headlamp will not come up , at full throttle it spits and pops. all of this started at one time . Is this a common problem, please help !!!!
It is very possible that you may have a major vacuum leak since all of these symptoms started at once. Then again, it may be more than one problem that needs attention. Read the 82 OWNERS "sticky"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...solutions.html
in the above section to get you started with troubleshooting your problems.
1-how long have you owned your 82?
2-what work or maintenance have you performed on the 82 if any?
3-do you know of any tune-ups or parts replacement by previous owners if in fact there were any?
4-what is the current mileage on the car?

When you read through the "sticky" it will outline tests and procedures to perform in helping eliminate replacement of any unneeded parts.

Ask all of the questions you need to, as the 82 OWNERS will try to do our best to get you running good once again............Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 02-11-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
It is very possible that you may have a major vacumm leak since all of these symptoms started at once. Then again, it may be more than one problem that needs attention. Read the 82 OWNERS "sticky"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...solutions.html
in the above section to get you started in troubleshooting your problems.
1-how long have you owned your 82?
2-what work or maintenance have you performed on the 82 if any?
3-do you know of any tune-ups or parts replacement by previous owners if in fact there were any?
4-what is the current mileage on the car?

When you read through the "sticky" it will outline tests and procedures to perform in helping eliminate replacement of any unneeded parts.

Ask all of the questions you need to, as the 82 OWNERS will try to do our best to get you running good once again............Tom

To start with.. I'd see if the problem is the headlamps or something else. To do this, block the vacuum at the filter connection, run the car and see if the symptoms are still there... If they go away you just confirmed the issue is the headlamp vacuum system.

If they are still there then you need to start looking at something else... But that simple test will help you narrow it down.

If it goes away, I'd start at the intake and follow the hoses making sure none of them have fallen off. I'd also check the ends for cracks. If the hose is hard on the ends you can snip off the end and re-attach. Check the vacuum hose connections... here is a chart that will help you and I'd also check the vacuum can in the nose of the car, they are prone to failure too.

If you don't find a hose off.. I have a video on how to test the component items in the headlamp system.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 02-11-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 PM
dftnbodyman
5th Gear

thanks tom , Im new to this form, I will check the intake gasket 2moro .
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

In addition to what Ernie (Willcox) added above with the diagram, check your vacuum hose especially near the cruise control, there is a major hose that runs underneath the left top fender, which can't be seened by looking, but can be felt and pulled out if replacement is necessary. Mine was totally split (at the bend above the cruise control transducer) when I first got the 82 just about 2 years ago.
Tom

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 02-11-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 PM
dftnbodyman
5th Gear

I just got this car, it has 82k miles, the owner said the bad idle, headlamp deal, and the full throttle spit and popping started at one time, the car runs ok on the road at regular throttle.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

thanks tom , Im new to this form, I will check the intake gasket 2moro .
Your welcome, you will get alot of thoughts and suggestions that will be helpful for sure.
And now my first suggestion.... is to follow what Ernie mentioned in his post and go from there. Then you can follow the "sticky", try not to jump around, just do one step at a time, although it may be a little time consuming, it will be weel worth it once you get everything straightened out.....

and welcome to the forum, we need to know more about your 82 ................................ .....Tom
Old 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM
dftnbodyman
5th Gear

so , will a bad headlamp actuator make it idle rough ? or will a bad intake gasket make the headlamps not go up ?
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

I just got this car, it has 82k miles, the owner said the bad idle, headlamp deal, and the full throttle spit and popping started at one time, the car runs ok on the road at regular throttle.
As was mentioned, you may have more than one complication going on.
Another suggestion, regardless of what you find, I would go over the whole car and do a tune-up (just follow the "sticky"), that way you know that it has been done, especially if you plan on driving it more often than not. Mine is a "dd" and I have put 42,000 miles on the Vette in the last 23 months. If you stay on top of them, they will run great and forever, always putting a on your face...................Tom
Old 02-11-2014, 09:37 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

so , will a bad headlamp actuator make it idle rough ? or will a bad intake gasket make the headlamps not go up ?
IMO, yes & no. I don't feel that a bad intake gasket would have that much of an effect on headlight door operation, as would a bad headlamp actuator. But I do feel that any type of leak in the vacuum system would be more prominent with the idle more so than the headlamp operation being caused by a leaking intake manifold gasket...............Tom
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM
dftnbodyman
5th Gear

ok thanks Tom and Ernie, I will get started on this new adventure (troubleshooting) this week end. this is my 3rd corvette, had a 74 in high school, and a 75 about 26 years ago, cant wait to dd this 82 .
Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

ok thanks Tom and Ernie, I will get started on this new adventure (troubleshooting) this week end. this is my 3rd corvette, had a 74 in high school, and a 75 about 26 years ago, cant wait to dd this 82 .
Sounds good, keep us posted on your progress.......... Tom
Old 02-12-2014, 12:58 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 382 Likes on 311 Posts

As Wilcox said start by disconnecting the vacuum hose that goes to the Engine and plug it. I'll bet the Engine runs much better. If so You have a major leak in the vacuum system. Now You need to find it and the best way is to listen for it but You can't because the Engine makes to much noise. Take a long hose from the car outside your shop or garage to another car, a vacuum pump or even a vacuum cleaner. Now You should be able to hear a sucking sound and that will lead you right to the problem. I'll bet its an easy fix.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Gizmo1302
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Sounds good, keep us posted on your progress.......... Tom
Hi Tom and Ernie, My engine also has similar problems, researched and found your post. I isolated the headlight system but also capped off a hose from the carburator to the underside of the air filter housing. Idle settled down and a problem i also had with hesitation when accelerating was resolved. Today i reconnected the headlight system and kept the second hose to the filter underside capped off. Still have a vac leak in the headlight system, the right headlight struggles to come up, but the leak had no affect with the idle or acceleration issue. Could it have to do with a vac. leak from the air filter housing, the carburator or perhaps something else? I would think with the headlight leak the problem should still exist with the idle and acceleration, please help shine some light on this. First time owner and learning.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

When my headlights were leaking badly the symptom was a high idle. Car still ran good otherwise. If you have stumbling under throttle, I would not think your headlights are to blame. Follow the sticky post, check your fuel pressure. The regulator rebuild is not too expensive.....then the pump which you can upgrade To the 85 model. Also with an 82, you have to make sure you have a good battery and dont unhook it or it will be constantly stalling while learning. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Gizmo1302
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
When my headlights were leaking badly the symptom was a high idle. Car still ran good otherwise. If you have stumbling under throttle, I would not think your headlights are to blame. Follow the sticky post, check your fuel pressure. The regulator rebuild is not too expensive.....then the pump which you can upgrade To the 85 model. Also with an 82, you have to make sure you have a good battery and dont unhook it or it will be constantly stalling while learning. Hope you get it figured out.
Thank you much for your time and input. I found the sticky (sticky?) from restore an old car .com with helpful information which i will follow when time permits on the pressure check, and regulator troubleshooting. As for the sending unit, i replaced it with Ecklers P#8386 when i bought the car, and after i gave the tank a real good cleaning. but by the discription im not sure its the 85 version you mentioned. The battery will be checked at the auto store this weekend due to it has gone dead before and recharged, also im guilty of disconnecting it when i work on the car and have the doors open for a long period of time, i was unaware of the computer issue. As for the second hose from the driver side carb. on my first post that extends under the air filter housing, what is its funtion cant seem to locate info. on it in the manuals? And is a throttle body rebuild difficult, meaning is there any regulating needed after doing so?

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 crossfire rough idle,headlamps dont work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1982 crossfire rough idle,headlamps dont work