C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator instillation what's the deal ??

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
patriotcommercial
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator instillation what's the deal ??

I just installed the radiator in my 1973 big block for about the fifth time in the 21 years I have owned it. Always a pain. I tried the radiator and then the shroud, no go. Then I tried the shroud followed by the radiator, again no luck. Then I took the top two bolts out of the radiator support on each side, loosened the bottom bolts on the sides, removed the two bolts holding it to the cross tube. Then I tilted the radiator support forward, put the shroud against the engine (fan is off) and wiggled the radiator between the two. That worked but I had a hard time getting the bottom of the shroud over the two mounting bolts on the radiator support.

What's the correct way to get this installed. Has anyone tried bolting the radiator to the support, mount the shroud and then install in the car as a unit ? How did the factory install these parts ??
Old 02-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 133 Posts

Check out this thread which is running now:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-not-easy.html

Fran
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You can buy the assembly manual (AIM) for your year and it will show you how the parts were put on during assembly. I have a 79, and in my experience, the best way to remove the radiator is to remove the shroud, and to do that, I have to remove the fan from the water pump first.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

May have to split the shroud in half, then glue/screw it back together and paint it after installation.
Good luck.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

If an 80 is anything like a 79. then I had to remove the fan and clutch, remove the shroud mounts, pick up on it a little to get it loose at the bottom (two tabs that pop into the radiator support at the bottom)and then tilt it forward, remove the two top radiator brackets, take the radiator and trans cooler hoses loose or off, and then lift it out. I did it alone without mishap or injury but it took a long Saturday afternoon.

I removed the leaky, rotten original radiator and installed a new four core I was lucky enough to purchase from a fellow forum member.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I did it as a unit on my '69 BB when I installed Dewitt's Becool radiator last winter. Much easier than individually.

Ralph.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

In 39 years i have pulled my radiator 5 times on my 75.
I do remove the fan and some pulleys.

I say split the shroud at the bottom, just get it over with and enjoy it, makes life sooooo much easier. Wife suggested it 25 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator instillation what's the deal ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator instillation what's the deal ??