C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Autometer gauges

So I think my tach is busted. Rather than buy an old used one, I figured I'd upgrade the speedo and tach with a 5" autometer unit. Will I need a special speedo cable for an autometer speedo? How about the tach...do I need any extra wiring to attach to my original harness? Do these gauges have built in lights or do I have to retrofit the old bulbs into the gauge? How about the turn signal indicator? It's a 76 vette.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I'll be the first to respond here too...

You can get autometer speedometers in both mechanical and electronic. If you are replacing the original, a mechanical will work fine with your original cable. They also have there own lights that you will have to supply power to.

Just so you know, they are not a direct fit, but they are fairly easily adapted. I'll attach some links to help you out.

..turn signals you have to be a bit creative. In the link they mounted small led indicator lights. If you go through several off the old posts about autometer gauges, you can see some of the cool things other guys have done.

http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124

http://www.et-motorsports.cc/tech/ve...o_template.pdf
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ther back of my Autometer speedo has an screw on cable while the stock one had the push on style. So you may want to check, maybe they offer the newer type. They are not hard to install. just takes alittle fabrication for the mounting.

Get notified of new replies

To Autometer gauges

Quick Reply: Autometer gauges