C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Install Full Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:08 PM
stevecerr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cost to Install Full Fender Flares

I love the look of the full fender flares that Custom Image Corvettes sells. I have a 73 Vette that was painted black some years ago. The car sat in a storage unit and never saw the light of day until now. The paint is fantastic. However, I am losing sleep over messing up the paint job in order to install the flares. I believe the final product will be worth it in the end though....

How many man hours for labor should I expect to install the full fender flares?

I am in the early stages of laying out a plan for the install but so far I have heard 2 different perspectives,

The first was 6-8 hours per side from a forum member who had the regular flares installed.

The second quote was for 90 hours of labor to do the install and that was not in paint ready condition.

Also, is it logical or even possible to have my black paint matched so that I could preserve the hood and doors?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:28 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Black is the hardest color to make perfect because it shows every flaw. I think that I would drive it around as is until it gets smashed up. Then worry about the flares.

Last edited by gkull; 02-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the I would get a few more quotes. As for painting, the front clip would need paint along with the rear 1/4's with the upper deck and over the top. For the outstanding items such as the doors and hood, I would paint them the same time to get a uniform finish.

IMHO that is one of the deepest black paint job's I have seen from photographs. Very impressive. I would agree with gkull to drive it around and enjoy it. Over time there will be enough nicks and scratches to warrant a paint job. Thats when I would install the flares.

I was not aware that flares were back in vogue. I thought they were gone in the 70's early 80's. Good to see "some" of the mods are coming back but I gotta stop at "station wagons" conversions.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

How long ago was the Car Painted ? Do You know what Paint Is on it? What I'm getting at is sure, You could install the Flares and just paint that portion, but if the paint that's all ready on the car is no longer available then You are mixing two different era's.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I just received a set of flares for my 70 vette from Josh @ Custom Image Corvettes. I'm pretty impressed with the quality. I am usually slower at work this time of year and expected to install them myself, but with the drought in the west (I own a well pump and filtration company) I haven't slowed down. In fact, I'm probably busier than ever. That said I checked into having the fenders installed. I was told approx 12 hours per fender to get them installed and primed ready for paint. Not sure what I'm going to do. I would really like to get the car back on the road before the driving season begins.
Rob
Old 02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
stevecerr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Korevette - Thank you for the compliments on the paint. I am one of those guys that wouldn't be happy unless the car is set up just the way I want it unfortunately. I would always be kicking myself for not spending the time to get it just right. Its goign to be a weekend driver and not a show car so I expect some road rash treatment over time.

@Gale Banks - The car was painted in 2010, I will see about getting some info on what paint was used. Good thinking.

@Vetteguy - I need to get some additional quotes as others have mentioned. Keep us posted on your progress with your flare install. Those pieces seem to really set the car off properly.

Here is a couple more pictures of the paint work

Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I just posted this a few days ago. I actually hate working on fiberglass. Itchy, nasty dust I ware a whole suit and filtered air. The sad thing is 6 months later I smashed up the front end at the road racing track and was right back doing nasty glass again

I do my work at home and then drive to the paint booth.

[/URL]

A friend and I did mine. I imagine that it was about 8 - 10 hours or so per side total labor without the painting.

First you fit them up and figure out the arc and width you need with your tires. I used a felt marker to draw the arc. Then I took a sander and took the paint off. I redid the felt marker of a line to follow while cutting the wheel well out. prep the area and wipe it down with solvent so it is ready to lay glass on. The flares came with tabs and you installed the flares with self taping screws. After the new matting had dried. I cut off the tabs with wheel cutter and removed the screws. I continued to lay matting down on the inside and outside till I had a sandable base with a good contour. Then I went over to the other side.

295 road racing front slicks

These 12X28 road racing slicks I drove it home from the paint shop
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecerr
@Korevette - Thank you for the compliments on the paint. I am one of those guys that wouldn't be happy unless the car is set up just the way I want it unfortunately. I would always be kicking myself for not spending the time to get it just right. Its goign to be a weekend driver and not a show car so I expect some road rash treatment over time.

@Gale Banks - The car was painted in 2010, I will see about getting some info on what paint was used. Good thinking.

@Vetteguy - I need to get some additional quotes as others have mentioned. Keep us posted on your progress with your flare install. Those pieces seem to really set the car off properly.

Here is a couple more pictures of the paint work

That paint looks WAY to nice to have to scuff up to install flares, even though I think a set of flares and "big meats" look really wicked. I agree with those that say, "drive it as-is" for a while...

Get notified of new replies

To Cost to Install Full Fender Flares

Quick Reply: Cost to Install Full Fender Flares