C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydroboost on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
slyfox2062
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hydroboost on ebay

Hi, has anyone purchased this on ebay, is it a good deal? Looking to install on my 1972 Coupe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-68-82-C3-Chevy-Corvette-Hydroboost-and-mount-Power-Brake-Booster-/301067060909?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4618fec6ad
Regards Greg
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Pick a nice day, junkyard for ~100 bux or so, if you remove it right, you willl have a mounting plate you can drill to match the booster....

some minor plumbing, and you got it....largest PIA is getting to the bolts behind the dash.....

It's a one day job......
Old 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM
slyfox2062
Instructor

Thanks mrvette but I live in Dubai UAE and although there are many junk yards here I would not know which vehicles to go looking for? Any advice, is hydroboost standard fitting on any vehicle? I'm also a Brit so not very familiar with American cars, although I have had c3's and C4's since 1986. Appreciate any help, the ebay price looked good, I priced one before and I'm sure it was $800.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by slyfox2062
Thanks mrvette but I live in Dubai UAE and although there are many junk yards here I would not know which vehicles to go looking for? Any advice, is hydroboost standard fitting on any vehicle? I'm also a Brit so not very familiar with American cars, although I have had c3's and C4's since 1986. Appreciate any help, the ebay price looked good, I priced one before and I'm sure it was $800.
As you are in UAE, this may be a good buy. The hydroboost is common on our diesel trucks - no vacuum, or those with lack of space for a booster (Chevy Astro Van) or some newer supercharged cars (Mustang), or heavy duty lorries where extra braking force is needed. This one says it is new, and set up for a C3, so looks like a fair price. You will need pressure lines, and (assuming you have power steering) sometimes an extra return fitting on the PS reservoir. Some get away with adding a "T" to join both return lines, but a factory setup has two returns. A single return sometimes causes noise and unpredictable braking. Make sure the master cylinder, when placed on the booster, is engaged by the push rod coming out of the booster. The master should have a very slight gap (a few thousandths of an inch) between it and the booster mounting surface, that will close when bolted down. I like the booster, but would recommend swapping stainless braided flex lines for any rubber ones.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Not a bad price, but you still need all the lines to hook it up. I am not sure but I think Speed Direct sells a kit with all the lines and connections without the hydroboost.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 AM
slyfox2062
Instructor

Default Help with install please.

Hi Gents,

I bought the hydroboost on Ebay what does not come as a kit, no hoses etc which is OK since I planned on getting those bits locally in Dubai. I've read several articles on the install and appear to understand it all. basically remove the pressure hose from the PS pump to the steering control valve and install Hydroboost in between. Only problem I have is identifying the pressure ports on the Hydroboost unit. One should go to the Power Steering pump HP outlet. The other goes to the PS control valve where the hose was removed. But which port is which?? I know there is also a return line on the Hydroboost to be "T"'d into the PS pump return line. Any help with a diagram or photo much appreciated. Cheers Greg
Old 05-05-2014, 01:40 PM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled mine from a Astro Van and got all the lines etc. You can take the ends to a hose shop and they can recrimp w the correct length. I went w metal braided lines screw in ends. Looks nice. You will have to change the actuator rod length and get or fabricate a firewall mounting plate. There is one on line somewhere that is aluminum and looks nice for like $25. I used a 78 power m/c from a corvette and it bolted right up to the brake lines on my 69. Stops on a dime.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
lakebumm
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 63 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I installed it on my '66, and love it.

http://www.hydratechbraking.com/tech.html

Let us know how it turns out.

Good luck.

BILL
Old 05-05-2014, 06:44 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

If you look at this diagram

You will see the return from the hydro boost running the straight part of the "T" with the steering return going into the perpendicular leg. Running it the other way, there is a slight chance the brake could see some amount of back pressure. I use a reservoir with two returns. GM always used separate returns, but many use a "T" with no problems. A few other things to check if you are doing it all yourself:
1. A slight slack in the pedal so that the brakes will not drag. - from the listing it looks like the hydro has an adjustable rod to the pedal
2. Have the push rod coming out of the hydro boost fit the master cylinder correctly - There are a couple of different master cylinder depths
3. Use a "T" that is not restrictive
4. Check all of your flex lines, as the hydro can generate nearly twice the line pressure of a vacuum booster. - I use braided lines
Good Luck

Last edited by 74modified; 05-05-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM
slyfox2062
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, that a great help. Anyone know the length of the two pressure hoses needed for 72 Corvette standard steering control valve. Any pic would help to show the routing of the hoses. Cheers Greg
Old 05-23-2014, 09:57 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I would like to here from anyone that purchased the one that's selling on ebay. I understand it does not come with any hoses. I would like to know if you have had any problems and if you are satisfied with the purchase?

Thanks

Tim
Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 AM
slyfox2062
Instructor

Hi Tim,

This is the reply I had from the ebay seller

"The only hose kits I put together aren't the stainless braid, they are the black rubber hoses which you cut to fit and assemble at your your end. I charge $200 for the hose kit with all the bits. Your '72 brake master cylinder will have the deep indent on the piston vs the shallow dimple like the '78 Vette MC. Do you plan to keep that and need me to adapt the hydroboost for it using a longer input rod? The longer input rod would be $25".

This guy Elliott is helpful and knowledgeable.

I bought the hydroboost and the input rod only, figured I could get the hoses made up locally for less than 200. I'm not ready to do that yet, I have just mounted the Hydroboost to the firewall. I used a 3/8 drive long extension bar, mine about 24 inches long with a swivel joint and socket to reach the mounting bolts under the dash. I was a lot easier than I thought.

Good luck.

Regards,
Greg
Old 05-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by slyfox2062
Hi Tim,

This is the reply I had from the ebay seller

"The only hose kits I put together aren't the stainless braid, they are the black rubber hoses which you cut to fit and assemble at your your end. I charge $200 for the hose kit with all the bits. Your '72 brake master cylinder will have the deep indent on the piston vs the shallow dimple like the '78 Vette MC. Do you plan to keep that and need me to adapt the hydroboost for it using a longer input rod? The longer input rod would be $25".

This guy Elliott is helpful and knowledgeable.

I bought the hydroboost and the input rod only, figured I could get the hoses made up locally for less than 200. I'm not ready to do that yet, I have just mounted the Hydroboost to the firewall. I used a 3/8 drive long extension bar, mine about 24 inches long with a swivel joint and socket to reach the mounting bolts under the dash. I was a lot easier than I thought.

Good luck.

Regards,
Greg
Greg
I have exchanged a few emails with him also... If I purchase it I will have a local HYD shop make the lines. Was hopping to here from someone that has one done. I hate spending 400.00 for something that is a piece of junk.

Tim

Last edited by Tim 1973; 05-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 AM
slyfox2062
Instructor

I've been slow getting mine together, still have to renew a couple of brake lines as its recommended with the extra pressure. I read somewhere that ATF fluid was not recommended with the hydroboost. What are you planning to use?

Greg
Old 05-25-2014, 08:50 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

I am using GM Power Steering Fluid 89021182 with hydroboost and Jeep box - you should be able to find it. I have used the Royal Purple steering fluid in other hydroboost vehicles with good results. ATF could probably be used with decent results, but purpose steering fluid has different additives to minimize foaming and other problems.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Do not use ATF!!!

Originally Posted by 74modified
I am using GM Power Steering Fluid 89021182 with hydroboost and Jeep box - you should be able to find it. I have used the Royal Purple steering fluid in other hydroboost vehicles with good results. ATF could probably be used with decent results, but purpose steering fluid has different additives to minimize foaming and other problems.

Greg,

I bought a second hand Hyroboost and fitted it to my '74 coupe, but have also fitted a Borgeson power box. Borgeson will not offer a warranty if you use ATF. I cannot comment on what effect ATF will have on the factory power ram and control valve, but I agree with 74modified. However, seeing that you are going to all this trouble to fit the HB, then you should at least consider fitting a Borgeson power box as well. The increase in performance of both braking and steering is wonderful.

A word of advice. The low pressure return nipple from the HB to the reservoir is QUITE FRAGILE. Be VERY careful when fitting and tightening this nipple, as it is easy to break. Don't ask me how I know this! I have a few of them in stock in Melbourne if you ever need one.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Get notified of new replies

To Hydroboost on ebay

Quick Reply: Hydroboost on ebay