C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 07:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette?

(Def.: Old Fart - A person in the half-century club prone to some flatulence at inappropriate or socially unacceptable times, such as getting out of a Corvette in the presence of a pretty young lady at a cruise evening. The whoops factor comes into play. Was that me? Must have been the three-bean salad??)

In any case, for some strange reason I am tiring of my Corvette. It is mid-July and I have put on 300 miles this year. All kinds of excuses not to drive: too hot, too cold, too wet, etc. Also too many yahoos on the road. And that one really perturbs me. Anyone else in the OFC finding their interest waning?

[Modified by paul79, 7:00 PM 7/12/2002]
Old 07-12-2002, 09:22 PM
John2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette? (paul79)

Paul, I've had my 78 for almost 15 years and I started to think about getting rid of it 2 years ago. Then I started autocrossing it...both high and low speed, I like the high speed best...I have never enjoyed the car more! With todays traffic, there is no other place to drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. Good luck

John
Old 07-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Old Farts Club (John2)

Hi.. I got my first Corvette in 1968, It was a maroon 62 with a 340hp 327. Eleven Corvettes later and I still can't wait to drive my current 69. I look forward to going to work in it and comming back home. The Traffic bothers me a little more but I manage. I still enjoy the people I have met over the years. If you get rid of your Corvette it, you will regret it within a few minutes. :cool: :cheers:

[Modified by silvervetteman, 8:30 PM 7/12/2002]
Old 07-12-2002, 09:30 PM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette? (paul79)

Sounds like you need a supercharger. :yesnod: that ought to do it. :lol:
Old 07-12-2002, 09:37 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Paul.. I will hit the half century mark in 5 months, but I just got my FIRST Vette last yr in July. I drove it for three months and have been working on it since. At times, it frustrates and aggravates me, and maybe I don't qualify to answer your question...but for me, this old fart can't wait to drive it....
Eddie
Old 07-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul, funny you should post this because I just told the guy at the shop where I picked up my vette that I am getting to hate this car. I have had the car almost 5 years and most of the time it has been broken. Its really all my fault because I bought the first vette I looked at and it was a total wreck, but the seller really fooled me.
I don't have a lot of money to put into it and for the most part it just sits in the shed. It needs just about everything. I have already replaced the transmission, torque converter, computer, battery, calpiers, pinion seal( todays project) and now the engine is shot. But, the body and interior are in great shape. I should have listened to my wife.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Old Farts Club (John2)

John,
You make a good point. Perhaps I should "play" more with the car. It is a car meant to be driven hard after all. And it has not. I did do a dragstrip thing a year ago with the local Corvette Club and that was rather a fun time. Did not do very well (15.9 @ 88mph) but apparently that is very close to 1979 L-82 specs.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Old Farts Club (silvervetteman)

I have no intention of getting rid of my 1979. In fact I would park it before selling it if I do not wish to drive. And do some navel gazing. And not in a barn or a field with flowers growing underneath ;) .

My Wife says that the day I sell my Corvette is the day that I grow old! I tend to agree.

I concur with you that some of the finest people I have met are Corvette owners. From various backgrounds and stations in life. Believe me, our Corvette Club welcomes all; from the pristine old to the 2002 and all in between. If you have a Corvette, you are welcome.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:55 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Old Farts Club (paul79)

We have a very active monthly autocross going on here in the local dragstrip parking lot. Why don't y'all drive down and participate? That'll get your interest going again... :yesnod:
Old 07-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Old Farts Club (page62)

That is a very kind invitation! But I doubt that my 1979 would get that far: 2,000 miles. But you know, that is the third invitation from Forum members to head in that direction south. From e-mails, I have had some very helpful hints on mechanical issues. I said thank you in return. That was followed by an invite to attend a cruise day or BBQ. There are some very fine/nice people in the Lone Star State!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:46 PM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

Default Re: Old Farts Club (paul79)

Paul I am 59 still enjoy driving the Corvette but I am getting to hate working on them. My 77 is down now. I installed a new rag joint and now I have a leak in the steering box :mad . If they ain't broke work on em untill they are :( . I hate to crawl back under there. Chuck
Old 07-12-2002, 11:00 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Old Farts Club (chucks)

Chuck,
That is one of the major issues. I developed lower back pain several years ago and the crawling around under the car in the driveway days are gone. I now basically pay to have repairs done. But I do find some costs outrageous! I must say, however, and I encourage others to follow this route, local Corvette Clubs and members can be a great resource. I have advocated that source for C3 purchase/inspections before purchase (frame rot, bad brakes, etc.) and they have a wealth of knowledge/tools/facilities for repairs. They are fine people and enthusiasts. Use them! They love to help.....
Old 07-12-2002, 11:23 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul, I went through a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng funk like that for over 16 years. After breaking one too many expensive big block engines, I parked it and forgot it.

Then, one day my 14 year old son, who had never heard it run, started asking questions.

Next thing I knew, I was reading the old magazines and shop manuals and researching parts availability. Poof, started building a brick two-bay garage just for the rebuild and here I am.......deep into the body-off.

It's the best thing that could have happened to an old geezer like me....and probably way cheaper than psychiatrists. :crazy:

No, I won't be racing it again, but I've finally reached the age where just scaring the neighbourhood dogs and cats as I rumble through is good enough. :eek: :lol:

Many times over the years I thought about selling it. Now, I'm glad I didn't. Hang in! :cheers:

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 10:24 PM 7/12/2002]
Old 07-13-2002, 12:02 AM
fastback79
Racer

I've had my 79' vette for about ten years now. It was only until recently that I have discovered that there is more fun to a corvette than driving it and staring at it. With the use of this forum, I have learned to locate many of the cruise nights here in northern New Jersey. I'm starting to really enjoy meeting new and interesting people who show up at car shows on friday and saturday nights. I've noticed people are much more talkative and enthusiastic about their rides than in the recent past. (Probably a good escape from our terrible economy and the tragic events on Sept. 11, so close to home here in Jersey). I am also getting much enjoyment out of passing along my corvette knowledge with younger generations. From my perspective, the flame may weaken from time to time, but does not die. Corvettes are my fountain of youth.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 247 Posts

Hi Paul,
I can't add much to what has already been said.
I've owned mine since new, 32 years. Interest was very low at times.
Job, family, other priorities, however never considered selling it.

Don't drive it because you feel you have to. Drive it when the mood strikes.
It doesn't cost you anything if it just sits for awhile.

As for problems associated with sitting, I have not experienced anything other than brake problems, that were resolved completely over 12 years ago.
SS calipers and DOT5. Transmission and rear end still have the original seals, with no leaks.

The age thing does make a difference.
"It can wait another day" seems to get more frequent.

Hang in there, the interest will return.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:37 AM
Dwayne 76
Melting Slicks

(Def.: Old Fart - A person in the half-century club prone to some flatulence at inappropriate or socially unacceptable times, such as getting out of a Corvette in the presence of a pretty young lady at a cruise evening. The whoops factor comes into play. Was that me? Must have been the three-bean salad??)

In any case, for some strange reason I am tiring of my Corvette. It is mid-July and I have put on 300 miles this year. All kinds of excuses not to drive: too hot, too cold, too wet, etc. Also too many yahoos on the road. And that one really perturbs me. Anyone else in the OFC finding their interest waning?

[Modified by paul79, 7:00 PM 7/12/2002]
I to am giving that idea much thought.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:50 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Not so much loosing interest in the car, as the car has run out of any reasonable modification I can do to it....nothing left to do...

GENE :D :eek: :cool: :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette?

Old 07-13-2002, 07:59 AM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Old Farts Club (mrvette)

Nah !!!!!!!!!!! I,m not tired of it!

KEEP THE FAITH

Geo :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 07-13-2002, 08:15 AM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,this 50 year old is starting to feel the same way.
I've had other things that had to be done the last 3-4 weekends so I haven't gone to any cruises or shows.
This weekend for vette events are off the table too.
Scary thing is I haven't felt like I missed going to those events like in the past.
Add in a new stress crack here and there and always something popping up to be repaired.
I do think of selling my '69 but just can't pull the trigger.
I've met alot of wonderful people and have made a few close friends I do pal around with now and then.
All that fades away eventually with the sale of the vette.
Maybe attending the criuses and shows again hopefully next week will bring me back into the hobby.
What do you think? :cheers:

[Modified by 69er, 8:05 AM 7/13/2002]
Old 07-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Old Farts Club (Silvr77)

Eddie,
I bought mine 1X years ago. It was a "have to get a Corvette before I turn 40" thing. Thought I would keep it a year and get the bug out of my system...then sell. Things did not quite turn out that way. Good luck with your repairs. The hard work and frustration will be rewarded many fold when you hit the road.

Quick Reply: Old Farts Club (OFC). Are You Losing Interest in Your Corvette?