C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Distributor help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
corvette.alan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Distributor help needed

I replaced my distributor last weekend. With my timing light before the change out, the pointer was lit at the top of the harmonic balancer, way before the timing indicator. I have tried to set the timing at TDC. With everything lined up (timing pointer and rotor) it's not starting. According to the manual, there's 2 different rotor positions possible. One with points the other with HEI distributor. Mine is the HEI. Anyone have possible suggestions?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:54 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Setting timing for any computer-controlled engine (like your '82 CrossFire engine) requires a specific procedure....like disconnecting some wiring before setting the timing "mechanically". The computer controls engine timing once a baseline setting is established.

Using a timing light to set timing with the engine configured for 'normal' operation won't get the job done properly. Refer to the EPA sticker for instructions or refer to the 1982 Chevrolet Service Manual.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:05 PM
corvette.alan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Setting timing for any computer-controlled engine (like your '82 CrossFire engine) requires a specific procedure....like disconnecting some wiring before setting the timing "mechanically". The computer controls engine timing once a baseline setting is established.

Using a timing light to set timing with the engine configured for 'normal' operation won't get the job done properly. Refer to the EPA sticker for instructions or refer to the 1982 Chevrolet Service Manual.

Thanks. I found the HEI bypass wire in the shop manual. I will give it a try.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette.alan
Thanks. I found the HEI bypass wire in the shop manual. I will give it a try.
Just to let you know...and you can easily verify this from GM...but I have encountered a replacement distributor for a 1982 is incorrect more times than it is correct. The reason being is the ignition module for a 1982 is different than a 1981. So these companies that sell them sell "whatever". I have repaired several 82's due to this issue of a replacement distributor...and the ignition module being incorrect....thus causing the engine not to run just right. Once I get a GM ignition module for it and install it...the problem is gone.

Thought it may fire up and run...if you have problems and begin to pull you hair out...I would think about installing a module...and also....I would spend the $$$$ and get it from GM...and NOT an aftermarket source.

DUB
Old 01-29-2014, 03:00 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DUB
Just to let you know...and you can easily verify this from GM...but I have encountered a replacement distributor for a 1982 is incorrect more times than it is correct. The reason being is the ignition module for a 1982 is different than a 1981. So these companies that sell them sell "whatever". I have repaired several 82's due to this issue of a replacement distributor...and the ignition module being incorrect....thus causing the engine not to run just right. Once I get a GM ignition module for it and install it...the problem is gone.

Thought it may fire up and run...if you have problems and begin to pull you hair out...I would think about installing a module...and also....I would spend the $$$$ and get it from GM...and NOT an aftermarket source.

DUB
DUB, I will have to disagree with you on replacement modules for the 82. Months ago I replaced my coil and ignition module with Pertronix parts and they work great. As you mentioned with a replacement distributor, you may not be getting the correct ignition module. Therefore if the OP were to buy aftermarket, they just have to make sure they get the correct module for the 82. JMO..............Tom
Old 01-29-2014, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
DUB, I will have to disagree with you on replacement modules for the 82. Months ago I replaced my coil and ignition module with Pertronix parts and they work great. As you mentioned with a replacement distributor, you may not be getting the correct ignition module. Therefore if the OP were to buy aftermarket, they just have to make sure they get the correct module for the 82. JMO..............Tom
Tom,

The comment was dealing with a 1982 ignition module only....and not prior years.

I can not comment on the success or failure of ignition module parts that are not A/C Delco/GM. If you had replaced parts with another manufacturer...and they worked out...I TRULY am glad.

I know good parts are out there...but I can not "guinea pig" my customers cars and let them be the ones how test out aftermarket parts that I have not thoroughly researched.

But is your car a 1982? Just curious so if it is a 1982...and your set-up works...it would be an option I could offer my customers knowing that you have had ( and still have) very good results.

Because the part number from GM for a 1982 ignition module is not the same as that of earlier years....and if my memory serves me correctly...the modules in distributors prior to a 1982 are the same...which is why your choice is working out for you if your car is not a 1982....but then again...I do not have my GM parts book at home so I honestly can not confirm it completely.

But is seriously doubt that an aftermarket distributor...or a rebuilt one would have the parts in it like you had purchased....unless it came from that manufacturer.

DUB
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Tom,

The comment was dealing with a 1982 ignition module only....and not prior years.

I can not comment on the success or failure of ignition module parts that are not A/C Delco/GM. If you had replaced parts with another manufacturer...and they worked out...I TRULY am glad.

I know good parts are out there...but I can not "guinea pig" my customers cars and let them be the ones how test out aftermarket parts that I have not thoroughly researched.

But is your car a 1982? Just curious so if it is a 1982...and your set-up works...it would be an option I could offer my customers knowing that you have had ( and still have) very good results.

Because the part number from GM for a 1982 ignition module is not the same as that of earlier years....and if my memory serves me correctly...the modules in distributors prior to a 1982 are the same...which is why your choice is working out for you if your car is not a 1982....but then again...I do not have my GM parts book at home so I honestly can not confirm it completely.

But is seriously doubt that an aftermarket distributor...or a rebuilt one would have the parts in it like you had purchased....unless it came from that manufacturer.

DUB
DUB, I do have an 82 as my "dd", and also the 74 which I spoke to you about a few years ago about filling in the luggage rack holes on the rear deck, but that is another story....
I just made sure that the replacement coil from Pertronix had the correct color wires that my stock one had, and also made sure that I got the correct 7-pin replacement module. It just works great, no problem(s) at all. I also still have the stock distributor in the 82. I will get the part numbers for you and that way you can have a choice for your customers if needed.........Tom
Old 01-30-2014, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB, I do have an 82 as my "dd", and also the 74 which I spoke to you about a few years ago about filling in the luggage rack holes on the rear deck, but that is another story....
I just made sure that the replacement coil from Pertronix had the correct color wires that my stock one had, and also made sure that I got the correct 7-pin replacement module. It just works great, no problem(s) at all. I also still have the stock distributor in the 82. I will get the part numbers for you and that way you can have a choice for your customers if needed.........Tom
Tom,

I remember talking with you on the body repair issue...but sorry...I forgot that you had another. Way too many other thoughts have run through my head since than and I have had to clean out my "temporary files, recycle bin and defrag" my brain several times since then. Hopefully you did not feel offended in me forgetting.

Thanks...and hope to get that info when you can. I am really glad that you have success in the Pertonix part. Coming from you...and having success with it... I can not dispute your comment in the slightest way...it will allow me to feel confident in offering it as an option for future 82 Corvette owners who may have that problem and needing a new ignition module.

DUB
Old 02-06-2014, 02:51 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

DUB,
Here are the part #'s I used for thr 82......

Per Tronix ignition coil (red & white wire) # D3001 about $45
Per Tronix ignition module (7 pin) # D2002 about $55

GM part # for the 82 ignition module # 1976908

You can also refer your 82 customers to our "sticky" for 82's
right in the Tech Section....here is the link....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...solutions.html

Talk soon....................Tom
Old 02-06-2014, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

DUB,
Here are the part #'s I used for thr 82......

Per Tronix ignition coil (red & white wire) # D3001 about $45
Per Tronix ignition module (7 pin) # D2002 about $55

GM part # for the 82 ignition module # 1976908

You can also refer your 82 customers to our "sticky" for 82's
right in the Tech Section....here is the link....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...solutions.html

Talk soon....................Tom
Thanks...It is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

DUB
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

next question hit the new thread block at the top of the page. this 5 year old thread about computer controlled distrib has nothing to do with your issue. now, that is you sitting on a Harley? that and what you have written makes me think you have it in and timed right. JUST CUZ IT IS NEW DOESN'T MEAN IT WORKS!! it sounds like you have no spark. if timed way wrong but have spark, it pops out exhaust or intake or stops motor from cranking cuz of too much advance. it is rarely quiet. you have a timing light. put light on and crank it. no flash? no spark. the 2 distributors are both vacuum large cap HEI? first and likeliest eff up is the little black contact that sits on top of the rotor with a spring on it that contacts the coil. if that is there and everything is hooked up correctly, i would put the old one back in. got spark? where did new distributor come from? parts store? return it. 40 buck unit off ebay or amazon? you might wanna start swapping parts from old guy to new one to see which component is dead. the orig dist has all Delco parts that are designed to last a while. the 40 year old stuff is still working. i would give that dizzy a bath and stick a hose on the vac advance. use the human vacuum pump on other end of hose. advance moves, or just leaks air? if it leaks, steal the advance can off new distributor or buy a new one if whole dizzy is pricey enough to justify returning it. if advance works i would stick the old cap on it. paint the body with aluminum paint. put it in. put new cap, coil, rotor etc on and time it up. you want 34 degrees at FULL mechanical advance. don't trust it to be at full advance just cuz it is at 28 or 3k rpm. rev it with timing light until you see it stop advancing.

Last edited by derekderek; 07-14-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Distributor help needed

Quick Reply: 82 Distributor help needed