C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Steering Column into C3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:32 AM
mmesa005
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C4 Steering Column into C3?

As I am going through restoring my 74 C3 I just finished taking everything out of the interior. I want to replace my steering column with a tilt / telescoping unit. Looking on eBay I noticed a C4 column that looks like it would fit as it has very similar connect points.

I know with enough engineering anything is possible, however, I am looking for minimal modifications to make this feasible for me. BTW I have removed the wiring harness and will be replacing it with a new aftermarket unit, non-stock.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

I guess I'm not seeing the advantage to make the conversion worth wile. You can probably find a Late C3 tilt tel column for the same price that will do the same thing. You say that You are going to use an aftermarket Wiring Harness but its going to come with all the factory plugs on it is it not? When You order the Harness, You might be able to tell them You have a Late column and they might be able to do the right plugs for it. The 81 and 82 columns have resume on the Cruise control if that is important to you, but the turn signal stalk that has the cruise is plug and play for an 80, and probably earlier than that.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:50 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd also be concerned about the total length. You are right, it's appears as though the mounting to the under side of the Bird Cage and to the fire wall look similar. It would suck to stick it in then discover you can't connect the rag joint.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The problem that I see is going to be at the gearbox. The end of the C4 column is totally different...and getting the column to join the gearbox would be "fun" top say the least.

Modifying the mounts and bottom plate that secures to the firewall will more than likely require welding...which would mean that the column would have to be dis-assembled so you do not heat up and destroy something important internally.

If I had to do this for a customer...I honestly would try to find the correct column. Mainly due to the amount of time to get everything RIGHT...it could actually cost more than the correct column. Time is MONEY...but also depends on how much you value your time. I value mine... so I know this would not be cheap...and if it is something the customer just "had to have".
DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-26-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default C4 T&T Strg Column in a C3

Sorry, I have been out of country the last 10 days. I provide my thoughts on your PM right here on this site.

You said it correctly, is it really worth cobbling three or four critical safety connections just so that a later OEM column can be installed into an early C3? As you mentioned, "anything is possible" from an engineering standpoint but is it really worth the effort.

About the only advantage I can figure is that the C4 T&T steering column has a steering column mounted headlight dimmer switch, (your early C3 has the dimmer switch mounted on the floor.

If you really want a turn signal lever actuated headlight dimmer switch, then a 1977 or 1978-1982 C3 T&T column is almost a bolt-in option. I suggest that you read the following paper on just this type of conversion.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev23FE2011.pdf

One other thought. Corvette switched to 100% T&T steering columns during the 1979 model year. So the later year C3 T&T columns are a lot more available (and should have lower prices.) As my paper indicates, all you have to do is modify the plastic shroud on the column in order to make a late C3 T&T column fit your early C3. No cutting, welding, or cobbling the various critical safety steering column connections.
Jim
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Sorry, I have been out of country the last 10 days. I provide my thoughts on your PM right here on this site.

You said it correctly, is it really worth cobbling three or four critical safety connections just so that a later OEM column can be installed into an early C3? As you mentioned, "anything is possible" from an engineering standpoint but is it really worth the effort.

About the only advantage I can figure is that the C4 T&T steering column has a steering column mounted headlight dimmer switch, (your early C3 has the dimmer switch mounted on the floor.

If you really want a turn signal lever actuated headlight dimmer switch, then a 1977 or 1978-1982 C3 T&T column is almost a bolt-in option. I suggest that you read the following paper on just this type of conversion.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ev23FE2011.pdf

One other thought. Corvette switched to 100% T&T steering columns during the 1979 model year. So the later year C3 T&T columns are a lot more available (and should have lower prices.) As my paper indicates, all you have to do is modify the plastic shroud on the column in order to make a late C3 T&T column fit your early C3. No cutting, welding, or cobbling the various critical safety steering column connections.
Jim
Jim thanks for sharing the pdf for the steering column swap, I will be swapping to a 80 - 82 column to allow the use of corning lights on my 73 with a Daytona bumper cover. I need to figure how to tie into the ECM to use the cruse control. But knowing the column will fit save me from buying something that I'm not sure will fit.

Thanks

Tim
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Thanks to all for the great advice! The attraction of the C4 was it's listed at $130 shipped! That alone is tempting me to order it just to find out if it will work or not?
I did find a nice column from an 82 Collectors Edition (interesting as that was that last Corvette I owned 20 years ago before getting married!) and ordered it. Tim 1973, like you I want to wire the ECM Cruise control into the column as well. I did read about others doing it with other similar year GM cars. I just have to find the threads again!

I guess I have to start a build thread soon?

Thanks again to all!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Thanks to all for the great advice! The attraction of the C4 was it's listed at $130 shipped! That alone is tempting me to order it just to find out if it will work or not?
I did find a nice column from an 82 Collectors Edition (interesting as that was that last Corvette I owned 20 years ago before getting married!) and ordered it. Tim 1973, like you I want to wire the ECM Cruise control into the column as well. I did read about others doing it with other similar year GM cars. I just have to find the threads again!

I guess I have to start a build thread soon?

Thanks again to all!
mmesa005.

If you find a thread on how to wire it drop me a note, I have the wiring pin connections for a (24 reluctor wheel ) PCM

Last edited by Tim 1973; 01-27-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 PM
shopman1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my steering column in my 74 as well. I put a 78 column in and it was about 3/4 of an inch longer than the 74. That was OK for me because I put rack and pinion in and needed that extra length. Anyway, I had to remove about 2" of the lower column schrowd so it would fit under the dash. The is a paper on how to install a 78 in a 74 some place on the forum. It also has the high beam on the column as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Originally Posted by shopman1
I replaced my steering column in my 74 as well. I put a 78 column in and it was about 3/4 of an inch longer than the 74. That was OK for me because I put rack and pinion in and needed that extra length. Anyway, I had to remove about 2" of the lower column schrowd so it would fit under the dash. The is a paper on how to install a 78 in a 74 some place on the forum. It also has the high beam on the column as well.
Shopman1,

Good thing I am going rack and pinion as well as I did not realize I would gain the 3/4"? Thanks for the pointer, I will look for the thread you referenced.

Last edited by mmesa005; 01-27-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
mmesa005.

If you find a thread on how to wire it drop me a note, I have the wiring pin connections for a (24 reluctor wheel ) PCM
Tim 1973,

Take a look at these:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398006

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=511477

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Steering Column into C3?

Quick Reply: C4 Steering Column into C3?