C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter won't disengage

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 PM
7t6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't disengage

I've been chasing an electrical gremlin and need some help.
I've already replaced the ignition switch. Right after replacing the switch, it sounded like I fixed the problem, I would turn the car to run, then back off the key and the starter would disengage. However, it seems this only lasted about two goes before it started doing the same thing it did before I replaced the ignition switch. When I turn the car over, then back off the key, the starter still stays engaged, and will not turn off until you disconnect the battery. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like the Bendix gear drive is worn out. I'm suggesting you
buy a new/rebuilt drive, or read the following link if you wish to
repair it yourself:

http://www.howacarworks.com/ignition...he-bendix-gear
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t6
I've been chasing an electrical gremlin and need some help.
I've already replaced the ignition switch. Right after replacing the switch, it sounded like I fixed the problem, I would turn the car to run, then back off the key and the starter would disengage. However, it seems this only lasted about two goes before it started doing the same thing it did before I replaced the ignition switch. When I turn the car over, then back off the key, the starter still stays engaged, and will not turn off until you disconnect the battery. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
So....did you replace the "Key-switch".......or did you replace the harness-switch on the lower end of the rod that connects the Key-switch to the harness-switch?

The key should easily pop-back from the"Crank" position, to the "Run" position by itself when released.

If the rod is in a bind....or if the harness-switch is going bad, the starter will act-up (Not to mention faulty solenoid electrical contacts causing the starter to stay engaged).
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM
7t6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It easily pops back from the crank position.

I replaced the lower switch that the rod hooks into, thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't fix it.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Test for power to the purple wire on the starter when returned to the "on" position. If no power, then get into the solenoid/bendix.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t6
It easily pops back from the crank position.

I replaced the lower switch that the rod hooks into, thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't fix it.
So.....keep the original switch since it is good.

noonie : Test for power to the purple wire on the starter when returned to the "on" position. If no power, then get into the solenoid/bendix.

Make sure the wires to the solenoid are connected properly per the wiring diagram.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter won't disengage

Quick Reply: Starter won't disengage