C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel or composite

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:23 AM
mauiwilly
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SPDL81
'81 4 speed cars have steel, automatics have the composite rear spring...good luck!
Yep....mine had the steel spring and replaced with the composite....waaaaay better ride....
Old 04-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I forgot about this thread. Since I saw it originally I replaced my F41 rear spring (which I read is rated at 330 lbs.) with a VB&P 360 lb. composite spring. I rode on that F41 for about 20 years and I got used to a pretty harsh ride over road irregularities. The new composite spring is firm but it is a big improvement in ride quality. It absorbs bumps and ruts noticeably better without the harsh jarring . The rebound characteristics are clearly different. Rather than feeling choppy, it seems to absorb the bumps without kicking back. My shock absorbers have remained the same- QA1 adjustables, which is one of 3 choices recommended by VB&P.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 AM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I recieved my 360 lb composite and 460 lb coils from vbp one week ago. I went with bilsteins. As soon as I get my new poly a arm bushings in and the front end all back together I will be installing the rear spring and shocks (doing t-arm bushings while I am back there) I am looking fwd to the test ride!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by akdale
I recieved my 360 lb composite and 460 lb coils from vbp one week ago. I went with bilsteins. As soon as I get my new poly a arm bushings in and the front end all back together I will be installing the rear spring and shocks (doing t-arm bushings while I am back there) I am looking fwd to the test ride!
Good for you. It should handle and ride quite nicely. I think you'll be happy. Two things to remember though. You'll want to check carrier bolt torque again after each drive for 2-3 times out. I found that mine needed re-torquing after each of the first 2 drives. I'll keep checking them every few drives just to be safe. Also, VB&P specifically cautioned about overtorquing those 4 carrier bolts. They recommend 40-45 max, using increments in a pattern to get there. I started at 30 and worked up 5 at a time. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mauiwilly
Yep....mine had the steel spring and replaced with the composite....waaaaay better ride....

KYB-G2 shocks complete the makeover!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:45 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I cant really speak for the steel springs as the only steel spring I am familiar with was the worn out spring that came on my 76 when I got it, and when replacing it I switched to the composite from vbp. The ride is so much better, but there again I'm comparing apples and oranges. I only wish I'd gone a little stiffer on the composite, but it wouldn't be enough change to warrant buying a new one until this one wears out. On another note, Check your pm box dale, Theres a guy here in anchorage that probably has a few composites and you might be able to pick one up cheap.

Last edited by bluedawg; 04-20-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: shittty spelling.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will like the vb&p composite spring. I got my 79 vette in 98, in 02 I replaced the spring wit a new steel spring that in 05 had the tip brake of while driving threw the Chesapeake bay tunnel! Not fun! I replaced that one with a vb&p composite duel mount spring and it is a night and day difference, and one of the best mods that I have done to the car. I have been in a few other c3 vettes with composite springs and all have been positive changes in many ways.
I find it hard to believe that some think a steel spring is better.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:40 AM
akdale
Racer

So one end of the car is done! The front. 460# coils, bilsteins, poly bushings, (ball joints tie rod ends, idler arm done but not worn, figured while I was there..), added vb&p spreader bar. Gone through neighborhood and over our speed humps to bounce things around a little and ensure everything is tight. All good. Insured it tonight so tomorrow I will zip down the road. I could tell a definite difference in side to side response and stability. was able to do 45 on backside of neighborhood road.

Since summers are short I will wait for a lousy stretch of weather to tear into the rear of the car as it has been way too sunny here to have it on jack stands.....Once the weather gets bad I will install the spring, shocks and solid strut rods
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of those stories where my factory composite rear mono in my 81 had a failure... The car always sat low left towards the rear, and when I decided to rebuild the trailing arms after discovering bad right rear bearings I finally saw the breakage in the spring.

It was de laminating, and had no strength on the left side.. Ordered a new one, slapped it in at the same time as the fresh trailing arms, and it's sitting much better and handles better...

Still need to look into the front end and replace old/dry cracked bushings etc... And probly look into better shocks.. Mine are Monroe road master something or others... Slowly but surely I'm getting things accomplished and taking care of the little issues that will make a better ride... And mine is a daily driver, with a bunch of power behind that skinny pedal... Love it!
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

He'll yeah. Be home tomorrow night, seen the temps in the 70's in town.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:51 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by bluedawg
He'll yeah. Be home tomorrow night, seen the temps in the 70's in town.
It's been the best spring in memory and that's saying something since I've been here 51 years.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by FireballXL5
I'm one of those stories where my factory composite rear mono in my 81 had a failure... The car always sat low left towards the rear, and when I decided to rebuild the trailing arms after discovering bad right rear bearings I finally saw the breakage in the spring.

It was de laminating, and had no strength on the left side.. Ordered a new one, slapped it in at the same time as the fresh trailing arms, and it's sitting much better and handles better...

Still need to look into the front end and replace old/dry cracked bushings etc... And probly look into better shocks.. Mine are Monroe road master something or others... Slowly but surely I'm getting things accomplished and taking care of the little issues that will make a better ride... And mine is a daily driver, with a bunch of power behind that skinny pedal... Love it!
The front poly bushing route was pretty simple. Hard part was deciding where to stop the cleaning and repainting. A complete set of bushings and a full rebuild kit can be had for less than $300.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by akdale

It's been the best spring in memory and that's saying something since I've been here 51 years.
I just landed. Holy crap is it nice!

Quick Reply: Steel or composite