C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel or composite

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by procketus
Replaced mine with a composite and ride is MUCH better. Be sure to upgrade your shocks to match the spring.
What spring did you use? And what shocks?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

My wife used to have a '79 that I did a lot of work on. A composite spring was one of the modifications I made to it. BEST mod I ever made to that car!!
What spring did you use? And what shocks did you use?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

For those folks who despite all the technical reasons and explanations as well as first hand accounts of those people who have made the switch from steel to composite springs still refuse to acknowledge the superiority of a composite spring over a comparable steel spring, I don't know what else to say! The other issue of switching to a very soft composite spring in the hopes of improving the ride of a C3 are also very shortsighted since these cars respond best to springs on the stiffer side, not soft. Spring selection is a balance between ride, steering response, and handling. A composite spring allows the user to go much higher with the spring rate IMPROVING the ride, and handling/steering response at the same time. With a very soft composite spring the car will wallow over bumps, lean like a 70's cadillac, and respond to steering inputs like a boat. Your choice!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
What spring did you use? And what shocks did you use?
I got the spring from VB&P (I think it was their 330 lb/in version), and I used Monroe Gas-Matic shocks, but this was back in the mid 90s. I'm sure that there are probably better shock choices these days.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:54 PM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Appreciate all the input. So far, if I read it right, EVERY poster who actually purchased and installed a composite is glad they did and believes it provided a better ride and handling. Matching spring with shocks proved to be the best solution. Thanks again to all of you for the comments and sharing your experience. I am adding the spring shock combo to my list of items. Right after I pay for the dewitts radiator I just ordered
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by akdale
Appreciate all the input. So far, if I read it right, EVERY poster who actually purchased and installed a composite is glad they did and believes it provided a better ride and handling. Matching spring with shocks proved to be the best solution. Thanks again to all of you for the comments and sharing your experience. I am adding the spring shock combo to my list of items. Right after I pay for the dewitts radiator I just ordered
Just an FYI that I have had KYB Gas A Just, Bilsteins Heavy Duty and Sports with my 360 composite spring, and the Bilsteins by far are the best shock with my composite spring. Stay away from Mass market shocks if you can afford to. Like most things in life, the better shocks will cost more AND are worth the money.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
akdale
Racer

Thanks jb78l. I am looking at the spring, bilsteins and smart struts from VBP. Car is street driven but most of the time straight line performance is the concern. No hard cornering. Not here in Alaska. So, the smart struts seem like a good add to the car. Going with them instead of the 6-link.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:21 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Thanks jb78l. I am looking at the spring, bilsteins and smart struts from VBP. Car is street driven but most of the time straight line performance is the concern. No hard cornering. Not here in Alaska. So, the smart struts seem like a good add to the car. Going with them instead of the 6-link.
I have used the OEM strut rods, OEM strut rods with Poly bushings and a few years ago switched to competition struts with Heim joint ends-no bushings at all. I really like the competition struts since with no bushings there is no flex and the heavier strut rod cannot flex under load. One of the biggest problems with the C3 chassis is too much frame flex so anything and everything you can do to eliminate suspension slop is a big plus. The competition struts also do not noticeable effect the ride. The combo of 360 spring with poly cushings, Bilstein Sports, and competition strut rods make the rear feel really planted (not racing just in general driving)-firm, solid but not harsh riding. My neighbor with a Lexus LS430 (which is a boat and drives like one) and not a car guy rode in my 78 recently and commented that he always heard that the C3 vets rode like trucks and he could not believe how well my car rode-There you go! I am really amazed by people who want to put in 200lb spring in a car like the C3 in search of a better ride.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
.... I really like the competition struts since with no bushings there is no flex and the heavier strut rod cannot flex under load. One of the biggest problems with the C3 chassis is too much frame flex so anything and everything you can do to eliminate suspension slop is a big plus.
This is true, but keep in mind, the less compliant you make the suspension, the more the dynamic loads are transferred to the "flimsy chassis", making it flex even more.....
Old 02-01-2014, 09:40 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

This is true, but keep in mind, the less compliant you make the suspension, the more the dynamic loads are transferred to the "flimsy chassis", making it flex even more.....
That is more of an issue in the front suspension where the frame end rails can flex a ton under load than in the rear suspension. The front issue can be greatly helped with a spreader bar (which I have) but in the rear what you are trying to achieve is less suspension deflection from the strut rods which control camber movement/changes using the stiffer strut rods and heim joints, on the street, not racing. Street driven C3's will GREATLY benefit from the elimination of bushing flex. How do I know? 33 years of making changes/improvements to the suspension on my 78.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

????? Former Alaskan here. I bought my '69 in Anchorage a bunch of years ago. Loved driving it on the winding mountain roads. Probably 30% of the miles I've put on this car was between Anchorage and Seward visiting a girlfriend in my younger days.

Post some pictures sometime of your car with some Alaskan scenery in the background.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-01-2014, 05:33 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by 69427
????? Former Alaskan here. I bought my '69 in Anchorage a bunch of years ago. Loved driving it on the winding mountain roads. Probably 30% of the miles I've put on this car was between Anchorage and Seward visiting a girlfriend in my younger days.

Post some pictures sometime of your car with some Alaskan scenery in the background.
I will, well I live here in Palmer and a ride to Portage or Kenai peninsula would be great. It will happen now and then but the thrill of this car is the straight line (when the wheels are not spinning) run. Not to mention the MPG are a bit tough for the Sunday drive and 200 mile trip.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I have used the OEM strut rods, OEM strut rods with Poly bushings and a few years ago switched to competition struts with Heim joint ends-no bushings at all. I really like the competition struts since with no bushings there is no flex and the heavier strut rod cannot flex under load. One of the biggest problems with the C3 chassis is too much frame flex so anything and everything you can do to eliminate suspension slop is a big plus. The competition struts also do not noticeable effect the ride. The combo of 360 spring with poly cushings, Bilstein Sports, and competition strut rods make the rear feel really planted (not racing just in general driving)-firm, solid but not harsh riding. My neighbor with a Lexus LS430 (which is a boat and drives like one) and not a car guy rode in my 78 recently and commented that he always heard that the C3 vets rode like trucks and he could not believe how well my car rode-There you go! I am really amazed by people who want to put in 200lb spring in a car like the C3 in search of a better ride.
Did you relocate the inside mount point of the struts to be at that magical 1/2" lower point I have read about? I think Skunworks had a bunch of good info on that
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Did you relocate the inside mount point of the struts to be at that magical 1/2" lower point I have read about? I think Skunworks had a bunch of good info on that
No I did not. I was trying to eliminate the strut rod flex and unwanted movement of the strut rod with rubber bushings which adversely effects camber change from hitting bumps and during cornering. Result, improvement in straight-line stability on a all road surfaces and during cornering. Remember, on the street, not racing.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

In case you're unaware, VB&P makes a replacement bracket that accomplishes this.

(at least they did back when I was re-working my wife's car...)
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

I got the spring from VB&P (I think it was their 330 lb/in version), and I used Monroe Gas-Matic shocks, but this was back in the mid 90s. I'm sure that there are probably better shock choices these days.
Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Steel or composite

Old 02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have a 360 lb vbp spring ready to go in , i figure i took 40 plus pounds off the front 20 out of the rear should help balance things out. 20 pounds out of the rear helps anyone er i mean thing anything
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, the 1/2" wasn't my idea, rather a long standing recommendation by John Greenwood to improve rear suspension geometry for C3's on radials rather than bias ply tires. In defference to the OP's thread I'll start one dedicated to the topic as soon as I can work up a suitable opening post (but not tonight). Stay tuned...
Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 AM
akdale
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW, the 1/2" wasn't my idea, rather a long standing recommendation by John Greenwood to improve rear suspension geometry for C3's on radials rather than bias ply tires. In defference to the OP's thread I'll start one dedicated to the topic as soon as I can work up a suitable opening post (but not tonight). Stay tuned...
Looking fwd to it, I am appreciating all the input from all the veteran C3 owners who have tried this and that and found the right combos for specific purpose driving types. Reality is you guys are saving us time, headaches and a ton of money.

Quick Reply: Steel or composite