C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C compressor seized!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 AM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A/C compressor seized!

Guys,

Fitted an Ecklers A/C compressor and kit to convert the A/C to modern specs several years ago.

Been regularly serviced, but the other day the belt was torn up and broken, bits of rubber everywhere!

Replaced belt and found when compressor clutches in (by using heater controls) the engine almost stalls, then there's smoke coming from the front of the compressor if I try to gas it...

It looks like it has seized.

Anyone else come across this problem?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

DO NOT TURN A/C OR DEFROSTER/DEFOGGER ON AGAIN UNTIL IT IS FIXED---IT CAN DOUBLE THE REPAIR BILL!!!

Yes....on a vacation roadtrip....bad deal!

Have the system cleaned/replace the compressor before it clogs/ruins the coils in the system!!!!!!!

$400 to $1200 parts and labor....depending on how badly the compressor disintergrated internally.

Don't buy a "pancake" compressor. Get a SANDEN compressor.

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-13-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Have the system cleaned/replace the compressor before it clogs/ruins the coils in the system!!!!!!!
This may or may not have already happened. If your lucky the compressor seized without circulating bits of junk through your system.
I had a compressor seize in my 94 F-150 and got lucky and only had to replace the compressor, orfice tube, filter drier and associated lines. Similar issue in a 94 Mercury Sable and had to flush the entire system to get all the junk out of the condensor and evaporator.
The least you will have to do is replace the compressor, filter drier, evacuate, recharge with oil and freon and check to see if anything else got contaminated by getting the system checked. In the meantime remove the drive belt.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM
puzzigully
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys....

now I'm really worried!!

Have ordered a replacement compressor from Willcox...so you think I'll need more bits??

Have a pretty good A/C guy local (Australia) so hopefully he can see what else I'll need (fingers crossed).

It was pretty odd - working fine one minute, then - nothing!

Get notified of new replies

To A/C compressor seized!

Quick Reply: A/C compressor seized!