C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood release handle '72

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 291 Likes on 177 Posts

Default hood release handle '72

when i was removing the cable to remove the latch mechanism for the firewall cleanup,
the last 3/4" broke off at the bolted clamp.

is it possible to replace the 0.043" piano wire that's in the solid section of rod?
maybe drill out and braze a new piece in???
has anybody done this before?

yes, i could buy a new handle assembly, but that will take a couple of weeks to get down here...
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au
when i was removing the cable to remove the latch mechanism for the firewall cleanup,

is it possible to replace the 0.043" piano wire that's in the solid section of rod?

yes, i could buy a new handle assembly, but that will take a couple of weeks to get down here...
If I lived where you did...and ran into this issue. I would have to at least try. The option of buying one is still out there and you can get one.

SO it is not like ruining a part that is obsolete.

I would drill and then re-stake it somehow...instead of using heat....which can effect the integrity of the wire.

Also...when you do attempt this...take the time to attach a wire/cable for a remote release ...so just in case...you still have a way of opening the hood on the left side if your new wire/cable you install in the handle breaks.

I get spring steel wire from a spring manufacturing company down the street from my shop. I make a lot of my own springs and such when needed. I know that type of steel is what I would use due to it being able to last a long time. IF that is not available in your area...then the stranded cable for like a bicycle might also work well. If you have junk/auto salvage yards there with old American cars...the solid cables for many of the inner HVAC controls is pretty much the same and are quite strong also for what you are looking for.

DUB
Old 01-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au

If you're just looking for a temporary fix until you can get your hands on a replacement then it's pretty simple to just pull the old handle+cable out the sheath and insert a bicycle brake cable up the sheath and clamp it in place. Don't need a handle just leave enough to grab and pull.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

just don't shut the hood completely until the new cable makes it there. or run a cable thru the hole that is used when the cable breaks.(temporary)

Get notified of new replies

To hood release handle '72

Quick Reply: hood release handle '72